VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again.

Anytime i say to someone im veggie they ask do i eat eggs..

I would say im pretty animal savvy and i know that chickens can lay eggs without a dude chicken there.

But is eggs still a no no? Even unfirtalized ones?

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is a matter that is ultimately your decision.
Vegetarians tend to consume eggs, whereas vegans do not use any animal byproducts (eggs, milk, honey, etc.).
Though chickens are able to lay unfertilized eggs, many people do not agree with the treatment of chickens, or the use of chickens as property.

Everything that you eat is up to you, however.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i only eat free range eggs as a rule, but unfortunately i don't know if they run with a rooster. Unfortunately if i didnt eat eggs id have an even MORE limited diet. (im fussy anyway, though looking at me youd think i eat anything in my path lol)

Another question i have is about organic...i go to a farming university, so i know that organic animals are not allowed to be contaminated by ANYTHING including pain relief, so i tend to not eat anything that is organic. Have i got this wrong?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry for all of the clarification, but I just want to be informed and not give you the wrong answers. :)
So you do not eat organic by products because the animals are not given pain medication? What classifies as "pain relief" to you?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Unless I buy it straight from a Farm I actually visited and I'm satisfied from the way they threat their chickens, I would not buy eggs because this would mean supporting the cruelty chickens endure.
But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
It was my understanding that phrases like "free range" and "cage free" and stuff don't have any universal meaning, so if I ate eggs I'd tend to avoid thinking I was supporting any humane treatment based solely on those catch phrases. At the least, I'd visit the farm where the eggs came from. But since so many male chicks are killed in the egg producing world, even on small farms, I don't know that I could eat eggs from any farm.

It's also my understanding that organic animals can't have pain killers, antibiotics when they are ill, etc. To me, it just... It seems cruel no matter how you look at it.

So... Hrm. If I were a vegetarian, I'd probably only feel comfortable eating eggs that came from rescued chickens who roamed around my own property, or that of a friend. Farming, even small farming, just seems steeped in death.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ Yeah, i feel like that. and trust me its hard to have those views in an agricultural world! i get my eggs from my local shop which gets the eggs from a local dude i know also, so im very satisfied they are treated well, i just wanted to know if i was making a faux pas

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Hi, Equi!

You've gotten a lot of good information already. Yes, organic standards (for foods of animal origin) are really concerned more with the health of people who would be consuming them. Organic producers aren't necessarily concerned with the animals' welfare. I suppose they could be, in theory; I don't know if their animals are given medications for pain/discomfort when they get ill. I suppose you'd have to get to know the farmer really well to decide whether s/he treats their animals acceptably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equi View Post

I would say im pretty animal savvy and i know that chickens can lay eggs without a dude chicken there.

But is eggs still a no no? Even unfirtalized ones?
You're correct, of course. Hens can lay eggs without a rooster around, and then those eggs are not fertile. I wouldn't normally have a problem eating them so long as the hens were well cared for their whole natural lives. However (this response really belongs in the vegan subforum):

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]the male chicks are generally killed off at a young age because they're not needed in an egg operation, and they haven't figured out yet to breed chckens to produce eggs with mostly female chicks. In other words, if they need 50 new hens for their egg farm, about 50 rooster chicks get hatched and discarded too. Old hens past their laying years are usually culled, as well. In addition, chickens are bred to produce an awful lot of eggs- far more than their wild ancestors would have laid. This puts a heavy demand on their bodies.[/SPOILER]

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
To answer your general questions: you're still a vegetarian if you eat eggs. (Ovo Vegetarian, Lacto Ovo if you consume dairy too)

We're here to answer questions, so feel free to ask away
This question wasn't stupid at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Dairy is needed to me lol. I live beside a dairy farm, where i also get all my dairy from. lol. They are looked after well. The only problem i have with them is that they crate rear their bullocks, and i get very confused about this. I mean, i know from a business p.o.v they have no use for a bullock on a dairy farm, but i hate that they dont at least get a chance to roam before they die :[

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think the biggest arguments people have against eating eggs is:
-the treatment of the chickens themselves
-the male chicks that get shred immediately.

I think the biggest arguments people have against drinking milk is:
-the treatment of the cows themselves (the fertilizing/raping and the emotional stress mother and calve go through when they get separated).
-the male calves that get slaughtered as veal.

What people do with that information is up to each individual of course.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
The current meaning of vegetarian is still defined as someone that doesn't eat meat, so you are not commiting any faux pas if vegetarian is what you call yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equi View Post

Thanks. Dairy is needed to me lol. I live beside a dairy farm, where i also get all my dairy from. lol. They are looked after well. The only problem i have with them is that they crate rear their bullocks, and i get very confused about this. I mean, i know from a business p.o.v they have no use for a bullock on a dairy farm, but i hate that they dont at least get a chance to roam before they die :[
You see that's where the farmers "they get looked after very well" theory gets blown out of the water. Any animal that is spending any time confined is not having a good life.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Vegetarians eat eggs
I never found I was asked this as a vegetarian, but I believe in india vegetarians usually do not eat eggs, which is the only connection I can think of.

I did once meet someone who thought ALL eggs were fertalised, and so they thought the reason I didn't eat them was because of that. Perhaps other people are also making this connection? I'm fairly sure all commercial eggs couldn't be fertalised since there wouldn't be a **** anywhere around the hens.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
The OP is from the UK, so Indian vegetarians often being lacto-vegetarians (but not ovo-lacto) is probably the correct explanation for the question being asked, given the fairly sizable population of Indian folks in that part of the world. Earlier there was a thread from someone who was asked if they ate garlic, probably by someone who had met a Vedic Indian vegetarian (a diet which also avoids garlic and onions).

HOW eggs became considered vegetarian is interesting from a historical perspective. It is true they are not products of slaughter. But for much of the 2600 year history (roughly) of ethical vegetarianism they don't seem to be widely used by folks following Pythagorean or Vegetable diets. At the 1847 conference that officially introduced the word vegetarian eggs and dairy are explicitly defined as being allowed in these diets - BUT (and this is the interesting bit) - many of the individuals involved in organizing that conference and creating that definition avoided them!

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
When I was a kid if you were a vegetarian who ate eggs you were supposed to call yourself ovo-vegetarian, and egg and milk eaters were supposed to call themselves ovo-lacto-vegetarians, according to a book someone gave me, which was written in the UK. The supposition being a vegetarian was someone who only ate plant foods.

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
OP, don't be sorry for trying to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

When I was a kid if you were a vegetarian who ate eggs you were supposed to call yourself ovo-vegetarian, and egg and milk eaters were supposed to call themselves ovo-lacto-vegetarians, according to a book someone gave me, which was written in the UK. The supposition being a vegetarian was someone who only ate plant foods.
That's how i thought things worked when i was a kid too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts