VeggieBoards banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An omni asked, don't cows HAVE to be milked or else they explode. Like the bovine equivalent of blue balls, is this a myth?<br><br><br><br>
Can I have some sources on this?<br><br><br><br>
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
it isn't a myth, but i don't have any sources.<br><br><br><br>
when the udder is full of milk, it puts pressure on the animal which can be painful to them.<br><br><br><br>
what happens in nature is that the calf drinks a little less each day as s/he is weaning, so the cow produces less until she goes dry altogether.<br><br><br><br>
in the dairy industry, they keep this from occuring, and if it starts to occur, they impregnate the cow again, so that she'll keep producing. Calves are separated from their mothers early--males generally kept as veal calves (or perhaps for breeding); females are raised to be future dairy cattle.<br><br><br><br>
So, while it is true that cows feel this, the question is, is it necessary?<br><br><br><br>
btw, there are many other ways to be a dairy farmer, but this is the most common.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Of course it's a myth... and a stupid one at that. *L*<br><br><br><br>
Does anyone explode after they stop breastfeeding? Hehe.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
They would feel sore... but they wouldn't explode. And in nature they would wean their babies and the milk would go down anyway.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Marie is right.<br><br><br><br>
When cows are not milked for several days, the milk production goes down very fast.<br><br><br><br>
When they are not milked for two or three days the production goes so far down that it is not profitable to milk them any more.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
This the only thing I could find in a short time.<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.inra.fr/presse/dec02/gb/nb3.htm" target="_blank">http://www.inra.fr/presse/dec02/gb/nb3.htm</a><br><br>
The experiment involved cows having already had at least three lactations, and the cows were split up into two batches (one or two milkings a day). The quantity of feed ingested did not vary significantly between the two batches. The cows which were milked only once a day produced 30% less milk, but their milk was richer and they had a higher live weight at the end of lactation and a better body condition score.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Well, of course cows should be milked - By the calves. But we milk them, and I'm neither a woman nor lactating, so i don't know if not being milked would be painful. But if it was painful, then the cows would do the "milking" if nature were to rule.

·
Registered
0 Posts
well either way the cow's put through unneccessary pain and discomfort for little more than something the human race could easily do without...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Saw some footage from a dairy factory today. Wow. It's one thing to read about this, and to talk about it, but it's another thing entirely to see it.<br><br><br><br>
Man, these udders were the size of beach balls, and sagging to the point that they almost touched the ground. They knocked against the cows' legs when they walked, and the teats were red and swollen. The conditions weren't gravely disgusting from what I saw, but they were very unnatural -- concrete walls and flooring, metal pipes, suction machines attached to the cows...<br><br><br><br>
Sooooooooo glad I'm vegan.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah their udders get diseased and infected from the unnatural amount of milking done, that's why they're pumped full of antibiotics-but still continued to be milked.<br><br>
those things weren't meant to be producing that much milk over that length of time. it'd be like women being forced to breastfeed every day of their adult lives. ouch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts