VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized my true calling as I'm very passionate about vegan food (that's all I think about, being a vegan chef is just perfect for me) and can't really see myself in any other career, I think I would be really happy working in a vegan restaurant but every time I search courses in New Zealand for Wellington and Auckand I get nothing, any idea if their are any courses here? How could I make my dreams come true?

*chef I mean, I shouldn't have typed that so fast.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
For starters, it's 'Chef' not 'Cheif' that I think you mean.

I can't help you with New Zealand leads, just wanted to wish you luck!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think you need to start with Cert III in Tafe (or a cooking school) and work from there. Yes this means working with things at first you may not like. Then apply for jobs in vegan kitchens, maybe as a kitchen hand then work your way up? But CERT III will give you the basics any chef should know.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you I was searching cooking schools before hand just for vegan/vegetarian cooking but only Australia and the USA seem to have them, none seem to show up here in New Zealand and there is no way I could go to a different cooking school and work with the unspeakable.
If there is no way I could learn this in New Zealand, then my dreams feel really broken and I have no clue what to study, I have been like this, hiding in my house for 3 years all this time as I can't think what I could have as a career that is possible, if anyone could help I would really appreciate it because I have no one to help me and I don't want an academic career, I'm arty but I don't want to end up being a staving artist and been looking for something creative that has good pay at lest but I don't even know what will even give good pay to start with, it doesn't even have to be creative if it's not academic or not to much of it.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
If you have a dream that can't be achieved where you are right now, you have to go to where it is possible to achieve it.
If this was my dream, I would apply first and foremost at a vegan school in the US, such as New York, and also I'd make an application to any reputable vegan school in any of the big English-speaking cities around the world to make sure I got a place somewhere.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I could but I don't have the money to do so and no one to help me money wise. There is no way my family would let me move anyway and they don't want to move. I have no idea how to even live on my own, I think I would get lost forever if I even tried because I got lost up town once.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
If you're over 16, you can do what you want. Your family can't stop you at that age. You just have to find the guts to do it. Or, you can sit at home for another three years dreaming in your bedroom, right?

You can get scholarships and grants, study visas etc to help you train overseas. Just do some more research on it, get yourself a ****kicking job in Macca's or somewhere to save up some money and go follow your dream.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But that is to much of a big step as I never even flatted before or moved anywhere in my own country to live or even a job and I want one but fail for 2 years almost, never even had a chance to be independent once, I'm really scared to try, I just can't do it I know I'm to dumb to anyway, I think I still think like a child, I have a lot of Phobias and OCD

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Back when I was at college in the UK doing my training, there were kids from all over the country and some from other countries who were just like you - never been anywhere before and suddenly found themselves away from home in a big, strange city. It was scary for them too at first, but they coped. Unless your phobia's mean that you find it difficult to leave your house, you can do this if you want it badly enough.

If your phobia's are seriously debilitating to the point where you can't hold down a job or be away from your home, maybe you could work on getting some help for that first?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope
they don't effect jobs or leaving the house around the places I know, no one seems to want to hire me and jobs here are really hard to find. But my phobias make me destructive with water in the home, I'm up till 3 or 4 in the morning and one room all the carpet got destroyed by me because of it. I bet those kids had a little help to get over there though, if I had just a week of help then left too it I could do it but I don't, I have no one and my family said if I ever left home they would never bother with me again. It's sad they don't care about what job I end up with, they just say all jobs are horrible.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that about your family. It sounds like they have their own problems to deal with. They probably don't really mean that about not bothering with you again. I suspect they are saying these things because they know that seeing you leave and succeed in a job might make them feel worse about themselves which they don't want to deal with.

You probably need to move to somewhere where you can get employment and break your families cycle. Good luck dude.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just in case it keeps your motivation up.... My dad was telling me a few days ago about a job advert he saw in Hamilton. They were looking for a vegan chef!! So there are jobs in Hamilton. Unfortunately that doesn't help you with your training.
Good luck finding a job, just keep trying and applying for every job you see and you will get one in no time. Try to get any job working in a kitchen if you can (in a vegie restaurant of course) and work your way up.
Or alernatively teach yourself to cook, if you want to be a chef then start practicing with dinners at home for friends and family. Experiment and you will build up your own skills and maybe be able to get a job based on your own skills!
Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
For becoming a chef in a good hotel a degree in Culinary arts is a must. Along with this reputed hotels also ask for some prior experience, may be as cook or as house keeping. For that I would suggest to first complete a culinary arts degree first otherwise you'll be stuck in the low profiles job only. But then doing a job is also necessary for you. So I think it would be better for you to get enrolled in some online culinary arts program. This would help you in becoming a trained chef in future. During your studies also you can work as a cook in some small restaurant or hotel to keep the money coming to your pocket. Just go through the following site. I hope this would help you. http://www.culinaryartscollege.org/ While going through the site I found that there are many colleges offering scholarships to the needy students. So find the best college and the best course for you which satisfies your requirement.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've been working as a chef/ kitchen manager for a while now. I went to culinary school and the whole nine. Before I say anything I have to ask if you have an kitchen experience at all. And I don't mean cooking at home or in your friends kitchens, I mean industrial kitchens. I'm just wondering because there is a lot more to being a chef than knowing how to cook good food.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts