VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm really surprised by this and need your advice yet again!!!

On the advice of my coworkers, since last week I've been slathering on this Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion with vitamin E for stretch marks (obviously with intent to prevent them.... I have a few on my hips from when I grew my hips practically overnight at 13, lol, but nothing you can see unless I'm naked ;-) I can still wear bikinis.... ok back on topic....)

Another co-worker of mine is 7 months pregnant and has been using it every day and so far hasn't got a single stretch mark.....

So today, someone sends me this link:

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/index.php

And I saw that the stretch mark cream is rated as having dangerous ingredients for reproductive / developmental reasons!!!! What the heck?????

1. What did/would you ladies use, if anything??

2. Should I stop using the cream?

3. SHould I tell my co-worker about it, or let her go about her days in blissful ignorance?

I have two big bottles of the stuff (bought it on sale) and feel bad wasting it, but might even feel worse if i gave it to her.... what would you do???

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
So, I don't know anything about it being dangerous - I didn't hear anything about that when I was pregnant - even my DR. told me to use it.

BUT, I do know that there is nothing you can do to prevent stretch marks. Staying well hydrated MAY help, but no cream or oil will. The marks aren't actually ON your skin, they are very deep, and no lotion will penetrate deep enough to accomplish anything. It may help stretched skin FEEL better. It all just comes down to your skin type, and how fast your belly grows. If you grow gradually over the 9 months, you have less of a chance of getting them. If you grow not at all until 6 months, and then grow all your belly in the remaining 3 months - you're more or less doomed. Also, if you are prone to marks - like having received lots during puberty, or with any past weight gain or loss, then you will likely get some.

I know, it sucks. I slathered on PILES of nice smelly cocoa butter from the body shop- no luck.... I actually was HAPPY that I had no visible belly until 6 months..
until I hit 8 months

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm switching to pure cocoa butter - thanks girls!!! I normally don't use "normal" body products anyway.... I guess I got sick of being different during this pregnancy, lol. Another thread coming that way btw ;-)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used the Body Shop Cocoa Butter too. It's funny, but I started using more "normal" things during my first pregnancy too. I think it was the fear that by doing something different I could hurt my baby, as crazy as that sounds.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I always used the Body Shop Nut Butter..........i used it anyway for dry skin..........when i was preg i put it on my belly too .....LOL.........but i never got stretch marks, i only gained about 20 lbs with each pregnancy.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm using Alba Kukui nut cream, and sometimes I use Alba cocoa butter lotion instead. I've got good skin, and I started getting my belly early, so I think I may not get stretch marks, and if I do, it will be worth it.

I like using the cream because it's time I spend with my baby more than time spent avoiding stretch marks. I rub the cream on my belly, talk to the baby, and it's just a peaceful, quiet time. I've never been a big lotion person, but I really look forward to this part of my day now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really do think it depends on your genes and skin type. I had 3 little ones, gained between 30-40 pounds with each child and went back to pre-pregnancy weight after each. No stretch marks. I didn't use anything on my belly. The place I did get stretch marks, though, were my breasts after breastfeeding each one for 2 years. 6 years later I had stretch marks. Not anymore, though...thank goodness.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I do believe it has more to do with skin type than anything, but...I used cocoa butter like a madwoman with my first. I gained 36 pounds and had no stretchmarks on my belly. I did get a lot on my hips and butt. I guess those parts of me grew a lot. However, with my second, I gained less weight, measured small for most of the pregnancy, and had a smaller baby. I also didn't use cream very consistently. I did get a few very noticeable stretchmarks on my belly. Now, they're not very noticeable. I'm not saying it was the cream that helped the first time, but I really can't figure how I would get nothing the first time and then the 2nd time, after already being stretched, and having a smaller belly, I'd get them.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
It is 100% skin type, and HOW FAST OR SLOWLY YOU GROW. I was really excited to not have stretch marks "so far" when I got to 6 months. But I had no belly. I also only gained 24 lbs. But all in about 2 months. And I have markable skin. I have marks left on my hips and thighs from puberty. Do the research, and you'll see. The marks are made from the tearing of layers underneath the level that any cream, no matter how expensive or nice smelling, will reach.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, I think maybe I got my marks at the very end with my second, because my tummy didn't grow very quickly during the entirety of the pregnancy and they were predicting she'd be small, but at the end there I think I grew more and she did end up being a decent sized baby.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As a mother of two and the owner of a skincare company, I have thoroughly researched stretch marks and every credible bit of information I have read or heard confirms that it has more to do with genetics than anything. If your mom got them, you're liekly in for the same fate. There are a few things you can do, drinking tons of water, keeping your pregnany weight gain in check (as much as you can) and moisturizing twice daily. Straight butters are usually more effective at preventing transepidermal water loss than lotions which contain a low concentration of butters. I prefer shea to cocoa, but cocoa isn't a bad choice. If nothing else, keeping your belly moisturized will help prevent the itching that's so common in late pregnancy. But don't be fooled by fancy labels and ridiculous price tags- there are no miracle creams.

As an aside, the EWG relies more heavily on scare tactics than facts and reputable studies. The information there is often disingenuously presented and

unconfirmed. I think it's a decent place to start your research, but I would urge you to confirm anything you read on EWG.

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts