VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work on the outskits of downtown. Around the corner, is an ultra-weathy section. I go there for a walk and to sit in the park that is in the area.

This small, scrawny cat poked it's head out of the bushes. I called him over and, after some debate, he came. I noticed how sickly he was went I ran my hand over his back and my fingers fell into the dents in his spine.

My first thought was - "Who owns him so I can report them?" After all, he is malnurished. I asked a neighbor who owned him and she said no one. I said, "So he's a stray?" Yes, she said.

Then I got as angry as if someone owned him. All these people live in $400-750K houses and no one could put a bowl of food out for this animal?!?!?!?!!?

I've decided to take over feeding him during my lunch hours, if he's around. I'm also going to take him to the vet for a check up in the next couple weeks. I'll also cover the cost of fixing him as well.

My Bf has offered to take him in when the weather gets cold. He lives in an area where the cat could live outside and be safe. His parents may also take him in. They'd be better, as they live on a 2 acre property.

Still, I am sooooo upset that these rich people would neglect such a friendly, tiny, sick animal.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
that's so sad

one of my neighbours looked after a stray and had him fixed and she's been off work due to illness for a while and lives alone, no way can she afford that but she got other neighbours to pitch in on the costs and got it done. you gotta respect someone who'll go out of their way to help an animal even if they can't really afford to.

like it'd really break the bank for those rich people to put out a bowl of food now and then

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People who live in $400-750K houses generally don't want strays around.
I suspect that they're generally less likely to feed a stray than someone who lives in a more modest neighborhood.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I always keep a boul of cat food outside my apt. We have a LOT of strays in my complex. People do not fix them and just leave them when they move
I have been trying to catch a few of them to get them fixed but it is hard cause they do not know people.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are a number of semi-wild animals in the downtown region. They'll suck up to anyone who smells of food hehe

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
the way people treat animals always astounds me. i was raised by a mom who always took them in so....i do as much as i can as well. my mom even now still feeds the neighborhood strays and has had about 4 or 5 of them fixed. she feeds raccoons at times and has a family of sand hill cranes she feeds.

if you think they're cruel to dogs/cats...you should check out birds. i worked in a bird store and someone came in to buy a macaw....because it matched their living room decor
well of course i HAD to play up *every* bad habit macaws have so they wouldn't buy it! my first big bird was abused by his owner's bf till she got rid of it so he wouldnt kill it. my mom's first bird (cockatiel) was just going to be "set free" outside by my husband's cousin till i stepped in.

people ASSUME that because their animals they'll be alright "in the wild"...even though they have NO CLUE how to survive and will suffer horribly. YOU'RE A GOOD WOMAN KRISTA....but i always knew that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.