VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I alone in thinking how bizarre society has come to assigning public transport as a silent space. It seems a little odd to me that we share an area for an often extended period of time with other human beings, why is interaction seen as irregular.

Any thoughts about conversation with strangers on public transport?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Oh good god. Kill it, kill it now! We don't need this discussion again
Really? I can't seem to find any mention of it.
A summary would be helpful.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Basically, some people don't want to have their personal space encroached upon. The necessity of entering a public space, especially in the context of transportation, does not give implicit permission for interaction. Some people on VB think that this is a new trend, and a testament to growing alienation and isolation in urban environments. iPods and mp3 players may or may not be to blame. Others really just prefer to be left to their own thoughts by strangers when in a public space and it wouldn't matter if they were listening to their iPod or reading a book.

I don't perceive interaction as irregular, but I also consider non-interaction to be perfectly normal. People interact or don't, there's no profound meaning to it. This being said, continuing to try interacting with someone who does not want to be interacted with is rude and if you want to engage strangers on the train in conversation, you need to be *especially* sensitive to their cues and disengage if they seem uncomfortable.

Reactions: Tom

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
I'm trying really hard to remember which thread it came up in.. hopefully someone will come along and help me out.

Certain people were extremely nasty to those who don't want to talk to strangers and have unnecessary social interactions with them. It was cruel and horrible.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Another thing is that many people, get off of work, they have been around people all day, they are heading back to a family, maybe kids doing homework, getting things done etc.. the only "Me" time some people have in a week is during the drive or ride into and back from work.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Quote:

I'm trying really hard to remember which thread it came up in.. hopefully someone will come along and help me out.

Certain people were extremely nasty to those who don't want to talk to strangers and have unnecessary social interactions with them. It was cruel and horrible.
The locked unpopular opinions thread that existed before Uno's. It ended up in a showdown between Annia and Nishani.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLaika View Post

Any thoughts about conversation with strangers on public transport?
Yes!

Speaking to strangers on public transport is a good way of getting to hear all about;

1. How much Jesus loves you ...

2. Interesting experiments that can be performed using fireworks and frogs ..

And!

3. Risk of violence from physchotic crack-heads who mistake eye contact as a signal that you want to buy drugs ...

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Wow, it was really a debate? Was the anti-talking crowd concerned about noise?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Basically, some of us stated that we were uncomfortable (due to shyness/uncomfortableness in forced social interactions/around strangers/etc) and shouldn't be required to carry on conversations in public spaces; while others thought that people's rebuffs at their attempts at conversation were affronts to their persons and extremely rude.

It got nasty.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I don't think anyone was against other people having reasonable conversations with each other. No one was saying there should be NO talking on the train, just that people who don't want to have conversations should have that respected.

If most people either don't want to interact, or are respecting that wish, then that would lead to a very quiet train I suppose.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
why should i talk to them? what opinions or occurences in their life matter to me? they aren't people i am interested in.

talking on public transport makes sense only if it is about something is happening right there: an hour delay, some suicide etc.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I don't mind a comment as a check to see if I feel like a conversation, but if I cut them off, I hope they get the message. Too often the talkers never do.
It's a right to silence. I feel public transport should have that right to silence.
Yes, I do feel a right to anonymity.

Actually, I recall the first time I heard the expression "no man's an island". I loved it!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

why should i talk to them? what opinions or occurences in their life matter to me? they aren't people i am interested in.

talking on public transport makes sense only if it is about something is happening right there: an hour delay, some suicide etc.
Often, nothing - you're right.

I feel that one can learn something from strangers, I might be naive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Alfred Hitchcock seems to have done much to ruin this possibility.

Strangers on a Train (film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange...ain_%28film%29
If you know me, you can always prove a point with a Hitchcock reference!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I try not to bother other people on the bus or train, but my bus stops (and train starts) at the airport, which is full of people who want to know how to get somewhere. (Can you tell me how to get to Pike Place Market, the Space Needle, etc.) Or a group of people (we're celebrating our parents 25th wedding anniversary with a cruise to Alaska, and spending a few days in Seattle). On more then one occasion, I've become a de facto tour guide.
Most of the time, I'm usually quiet.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I get the buses all the time and a lot of the time I am tired from work and university and not interested in talking to strangers. Sometimes I'm not so tired and if someone says something to me I'll happily talk. I've met some interesting people by chatting at the bus stop, usually prompted by them being from out of town and wanting to know which bus will get them where they need to be. Buses in NZ are a whole different story to the busy London-line trains that I used to get to highschool in England. People on there at peak time could be attrocious.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.