Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Anything else

Votes: 19 55.9%
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously the answer will be no for a variety of reasons, but I think it can be acknowledged that this group is in the minority. The very large proportion of vegans seem to be either females, gay men, or super liberals. And even if you have no problem with those groups, it does make it feel like you're a little out of place. Because of the way society is structured I think in order for veganism to grow it needs to be more inclusive towards this demographic. And no, informing others there there is some UFC fighter or whatever that happens to be vegan does not quite do it.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I don't even know where to start with this post....pretty much what Snowcone said, I guess.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hmm, I've not noticed this at all. I believe most of the male vegans on here are straight...
I've not met many vegans in real life...

The one thing I have noticed is that these forums seem to have a disproportionately high number of introverts / socially awkward people, people who've suffered from mental illness, atheists, and possibly queer people. It makes sense that more introverted people would spend more time online in order to connect with others. Atheism is correlated with higher intelligence and critical thinking, as is veganism, so that's where the link between those two comes in. I'm not sure what the connection would be with being bi/lesbian/gay/etc. Perhaps a keener sense of injustice, as many of us have had some pretty tough stuff to deal with due to our difference. You might expect higher rates of veganism in minority groups in general, unless other factors were in play (like being part of an ethnic group whose cuisine revolved around meat consumption).

There is definitely this idea, though, that men need to eat meat to be manly and virile. That's something we can talk about trying to fix.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Hmmmm. Well I don't fit the typical vegan profile.

I don't know any other vegans and don't tend to associate with vegans. The only place I ever go where you would find many vegans is Farm Sanctuary. And I can tell you there are many many male/female couples and couples with kids etc. So I'm sorry but my limited experience is not that there are no straight male vegans.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayMan View Post

Obviously the answer will be no for a variety of reasons, but I think it can be acknowledged that this group is in the minority. The very large proportion of vegans seem to be either females, gay men, or super liberals. And even if you have no problem with those groups, it does make it feel like you're a little out of place. Because of the way society is structured I think in order for veganism to grow it needs to be more inclusive towards this demographic. And no, informing others there there is some UFC fighter or whatever that happens to be vegan does not quite do it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
You're subscribing to the idea that performance of intense masculinity is somehow good. The reason you don't see vegans being intensely masculine (I'm avoiding this stuff about sexuality, it doesn't matter) is because that sort of masculinity is associated with the violence used to legitimise the patriarchy and underscore heteronormative ideas of 'male.'

There are plenty of straight male vegans, but they're not generally super-macho guys because those sorts of guys tend to perpetuate speciesism and sexism both. I personally am a straight male vegan with a skinhead who wears army surplus gear... but I don't act macho. Vegans by challenging speciesism are challenging sexism and gender norms as well, and that's important.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
I'm not sure it would do veganism good to be more associated with the kind of man the OP seems to think is a real man...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I'm straight as an arrow...and other adjectives I can't discuss on a PG-13 board.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

You're subscribing to the idea that performance of intense masculinity is somehow good. The reason you don't see vegans being intensely masculine (I'm avoiding this stuff about sexuality, it doesn't matter) is because that sort of masculinity is associated with the violence used to legitimise the patriarchy and underscore heteronormative ideas of 'male.'
Spoken like a true sissy

(I'm kidding, I'm kidding, of course)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
One can be "macho" in more ways than one.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
I'm straight, male and vegan, so I voted for the the choice that most fits me (straight, male and vegan).

I also like cupcakes, 3 door hatchback cars, the smell of fresh cut grass and Mike's Hard Lemonade. Does that change things?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I also like cupcakes, 3 door hatchback cars, the smell of fresh cut grass and Mike's Hard Lemonade. Does that change things?
What I think is most relevant: do you, or do you not, have toenails painted pink?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Real straight vegan men don't vote in polls.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

What I think is most relevant: do you, or do you not, have toenails painted pink?
What if they are rainbow colored? Two toenails are pink. The rest are masculine colored.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Lord. As vegans are already a pretty good minority, it would make sense that male vegans themselves would be a pretty small minority.

For some reason, I think that all male vegans are different from each other.

I'm not super liberal (more like a moderate), i have guns, i wear dress clothes, i have kids and am ok with that decision, etc.

we are all different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I asked a genuine question which has no bad intentions behind it, and people are acting like I called for vegans to be tossed into the gas chamber. This attitude I speak of is hostile and over exaggerates everything it comes across. Unfortunately, it fits directly into the stereotypical media image of an angry crazy vegan.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayMan View Post

I asked a genuine question which has no bad intentions behind it, and people are acting like I called for vegans to be tossed into the gas chamber. This attitude I speak of is hostile and over exaggerates everything it comes across. Unfortunately, it fits directly into the stereotypical media image of an angry crazy vegan.
well i won't disagree with them being tossed into the gas chamber.

i think most people don't like being seemingly stereotyped and will get defensive about it. It happens on this site all the time.

If anything, the different responses prove otherwise, you. *checks gun

1 - 20 of 84 Posts