VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a tub of coconut oil. Do I have to refrigerate it after opening? The container doesn't say.

Also, any good recipe ideas?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

I just bought a tub of coconut oil. Do I have to refrigerate it after opening? The container doesn't say.

Also, any good recipe ideas?
I don't refrigerate mine. It would probably extend the shelf life if you did, though it might make it pretty difficult to work with.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Recipe ideas? Use it instead of whatever oil you already use...

I use it for fried potatoes. Makes them SOOO crispy!

Just a little in the wok when I make fried rice or fried tofu.

When making french toast... it doesn't soak into the bread yet the bread browns so nicely.

In any baking or any recipe at all that calls for shortening (or lard):

Pie Crust (I use ALL coconut oil instead of part butter)

Tamales

Bedan Ladus

and the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies in the world!!

OK, none of those are super-super-healthy; but way, way better with coconut oil than if you used hydrogenated fats or butter or (*gasp*) lard...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
ooohhh the fried potatoes sound heavely, i love crispy fried potatoes, and my kids are always requesting them. i will be getting some coconut oil ........i have never tried it. the yves sausages look good too, i have not seen them here yet, but will keep an eye out.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Coconut keeps really well in a cabinet.
Unless your cabinets get very warm - like mine does above the stove... Coconut oil softens at... I think 72 degrees? So if you're using it under warm conditions it'll be quite soft or even liquid...

I still don't refrigerate it - it gets rock-hard and impossible to work with then like Froggy said - just try to keep it cool.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Totally unrelated- Tofu and Froggy you guys are the cutetest! You make a beautiful couple and I love the picture

sorry for the interuption... continue on...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I second the chocolate chip cookies, they are the best ever with coconut oil. They also go well in oatmeal with soymilk, Indian dishes,etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts