VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like I've been doing recently, I did food shopping at the supermarket in the Spanish (Latin) neighborhood. Their produce section, relative to the size of the store, is twice as big as supermarkets in the "Anglo" (Italian, Irish, Jewish and Latin and handful of actual Anglos) area. Except for tomatoes. All they had were those green-picked cardboard tomatoes. But the romaine lettuce was super-fresh. I can never find really fresh lettuce in the Anglo supermarket. And their display of lettuce was twice as big. Unlike the Anglo store, they seem to always have fresh radishes with the leaves till attached. And I can always get a normal size (as opposed to a single-serving) papaya. Avocados are almost halfway down in price.<br><br><br><br>
I normally take the bus, but yesterday I got off the train, on my way back from Manhattan.<br><br><br><br>
As I walked down the platform, I came across two women staring at something in the woods between the platform and the back of the supermarket. I thought maybe they were enjoying the antics of a squirrel, or a rabbit; I stopped to look. There was a man lying in the woods. "Is he alright?" I asked? "I don't know." They started yelling at him. He didn't respond. "Do you think he might be dead or something?" I wondered. "Yea. He hasn't moved at all." They started yelling at him again. Still no response. He is quite still. "Maybe someone should just call the the police or something?" I asked? "No phone." I've got a cell phone; you want me to call anyone, the police or anything?" Yes. Would you?" Sure. I dialed 911. While I was on the phone with the operator, walking around and looking around trying to describe exactly where I was, a great big man walks past me and interrupts "you have two dollars?" "No, I don't think I''m the right person to ask." I had just got back from the dentist, with my teeth still hurting, because I didn't have the money I needed for dental care. "I know you have it; you still owe me $200 anyway; I want my $200." I don't remember ever seeing him before, much less owing him any money. I ignore him and he walks away. Why would someone want to ask someone for money while they are on the phone talking to someone else? I finish telling the 911 operator where to find the man, after explaining about the two women that asked me to call as they were very concerned about him and thought he might be deceased. By time the threatening beggar gives up on me, I notice that the two women are gone too.<br><br><br><br>
I look at the man again. Now I see him move a bit. I call 911 again and say he's alive I saw him move. They say the ambulance will be there soon. "You want me to wait around for them?" "Yes, please." They arrive, sirens on, moving at a safe rate of speed. I tell them he's alive. They meet the police behind the supermarket, and hang around for about 10 minutes before a few of the police amble into into the woods, looking for the man. There are about 4 police, and 2 ambulence people. They can't find him right off. I point him out to the policeman. Then I say goodbye to them.<br><br><br><br>
Right in front of the supermarket, a couple of men are selling white t-shirts, hawking them in Spanish.<br><br><br><br>
They also have bigger plastic bags in the produce section, than in the Anglo supermarket, bags that are big enough to hold the large head of romaine I buy, and the large head of bok choy I buy. The bags at the Anglo market are always too small. The radishes come in bigger bunches, and they are selling them by the pound, not by the bunch like in the Anglo mart - my sales slip shows that I got a bigger bunch, for less money -- they also have more leaves, and more leaves per radish. Now I am wondering: are the Latin-area customers more likely to be interested in eating the leaves, than "Anglo" buyers? The papaya is less money. The frozen passion-fruit pulp is less money. I see that the sales slip labels it with one of its Latin American names, parcha, instead of its Anglo name (supposedly acquired because its flower resembles the cross that Christ bears, in a passion-play). And the avocado is a lot less. Did I say that before. Almost <i>halfway</i> down in price. I am making myself hungry - I can eat an avocado, even with painful teeth.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Interesting story. I can definetely relate.<br><br><br><br>
I love the peaches at the Mexican mercado. This one time I was at work and some guy was having a seizure. He was unresponsive afterwards, so I had to call 911. But I do like them peaches. You should see if they're any good at your Mexican market.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. I don't know if there is a Mexican mart, or, if there is one, how to go about figuring which market would be the Mexican one. If there is one, I think it would be likely to be a smaller store, not a large supermarket. Also, while sometimes store signs tout the ethnicity of the food they are selling, other times, even tho they have lots of food and customers of one particular ethnicity, they may not have the ethnicity mentioned on their sign.<br><br><br><br>
The supermarket I was at was very centrally located -- near the train station and major bus stop area where lots of bus lines meet. So I couldn't miss it. Any specialty stores might be a bit of a walk from a bus stop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts