VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've been a vegetarian for 2 years now.

My stomach gets upset really easily. I've never had the strongest stomach but recently it's been getting really bad. One of the issues is that I often get hungry but have no appetite. Nothing really seems appealing. For example today I'm moving to a new house, just thinking about food this morning was enough to make me throw up. It seems to be related to anxiety/nervousness. When my ex and I broke up I barely ate for a week. Not cause I didn't want to but because I couldn't.

I'm worried that this might be related to me not eating meat in some way. If anybody has a similar issue I'd love to hear if you had any solution.

Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Foolery View Post

I'm worried that this might be related to me not eating meat in some way.
The only way it could possibly be related is in your head. My advice is to see professionals for both your physical and mental issues. It sounds like you have serious problems in both of these areas. This is not a situation where you should ask for advice on a message board.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
probably has nothing to do with being vegetarian.

most likely a symptom of anxiety, its a common symptom. makes sense since moving is a stressful situation as well as breaking up. i have anxiety and it causes me to barf if i don't keep it under control. i do yoga, deep breathing, strenuous work outs, meditate, and take medical marijuana (which helps a lot with the lack of appetite symptom).

there are other Rx meds for anxiety like xanax too. might be a good idea to talk to your dr about anxiety and ways to handle it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Anxiety affects everything in your body. It can absolutely be the cause of your dietary issues. If I were you, I would talk to my doctor about it. If you're not the type to take prescribed medication, you might look into St Johns Wort. It can be very helpful with anxiety. I don't have the exact same problem, but I do have dietary issues when I'm nervous. Its usually more of a pain feeling than an appetite problem, but for example, I can't eat before a job interview because it makes my stomach hurt soooo bad.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like you have really bad anxiety. When I have a really stressful week I don't eat as much, usually dinner time is when I am least hungry during stressed times (and I usually have the most need to eat by that time in the day, too).

I sort of feel your pain, though not exactly the same. My new prescription has been tearing up my stomach at nights and in between meals a bit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
All the VB posters above beat me too it ( again ! Silly timezones?! ) and phrased things much better than I ever could but I'm chiming in with 'Anxiety! It sounds like awful anxiety! ' , having lived through that and watching ten kilos disappear off my already-small frame.
Exercise stimulates appetite AND reduces anxiety, meditation I found to be helpful too. Just general mindfulness, being surrounded by good company and finding ways to relax worked wonders for me. I hope you feel better soon!

Also, I will add that not eating worsened it all and I spiraled a bit. Foods like wholegrains give us relaxing magnesium, tryptophan, serotonin and b vitamins. It's important to get enough of these things to stay calm !

·
Registered
75 Posts
For me, back when I was eating dairy, I found that yogurt caused my stomach to be the most upset. I was having really bad stomach aches similar to how you are feeling, and I ended up realizing that it was nearly anytime I ate yogurt. But I find that my stomach gets similarly upset when I have a bit of anxiety or stress....so that could totally be your problem. I found that when I was stressed AND eating dairy, it was a lot worse. Maybe try doing some yoga, meditation, anything that can calm you down a bit, that may help.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Foolery View Post

Hey, I've been a vegetarian for 2 years now.

My stomach gets upset really easily. I've never had the strongest stomach but recently it's been getting really bad. One of the issues is that I often get hungry but have no appetite. Nothing really seems appealing. For example today I'm moving to a new house, just thinking about food this morning was enough to make me throw up. It seems to be related to anxiety/nervousness. When my ex and I broke up I barely ate for a week. Not cause I didn't want to but because I couldn't.

I'm worried that this might be related to me not eating meat in some way. If anybody has a similar issue I'd love to hear if you had any solution.

Thanks
That sounds psychological.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a hard time getting hungry for a while. I started self medicating with Cannabis. Since I quit using it (cuz of school) I just have to force myself to eat..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts