VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has been getting stomach cramps while running, but only when she goes out in the afternoon. She goes out about an hour and a half after lunch. When she goes out first thing in the morning, before eating, she is fine.<br><br><br><br>
I suggested that she might want to eat something about 1/2 an hour before she goes out - just a banana, or cereal bar or something - to see if it settled her stomach. I don't know if that was good advice. Any help would be appreciated!<br><br><br><br>
peace<br><br><br><br>
pirate x

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I know I get a cramp if I drink or eat anything before running. When I run in a race I don't drink or eat anything an hour before running and I never drink during the run, even when I run a half-marathon. I always hear people say how important it is to drink before and/or during a long run, but if I do I invariably get a cramp, and I've never had any adverse effects (ie. dehydration) from running without drinking first or during the run. And I live in Arizona! Of course, I do drink lots of water when I'm not running, and drink a lot right after a run, so that's probably what keeps me from dehydrating. Don't know if this is her problem, but maybe. Does she drink water before she runs?

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
nausea during/after running is most likely dehydration. If she's running for 90 minutes, she should be:<br><br><br><br>
1. drinking a lot of water<br><br>
2. taking in sodium/electrolytes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts