VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we think B's identity got stolen, AGAIN. This would be the 4th time in I don't know how many years. Does anybody have any idea on how ONE identity could be stolen so many times?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that too (and she's not his ex-wife, just ex-girlfriend
), but we're not sure. She doesn't know where we live, and she's not smart enough to break into his truck to steal his work uniform. Possibly a friend of her sisters, but I doubt they would stoop that low.

He got a call from Wells Fargo the other day saying that an Alex and Abby used him as a reference to get a car loan. The one Alex he knows doesn't drive, and (oddly enough) out of the 845908098609 people he knows, he doesn't know an Abby.

His backpack got stolen out of his truck around Halloween, so we're pretty sure it has something to do with that. But the last two times, he doesn't even know HOW it got stolen, since nothing was taken from him. Is there somehwere that could ahve the information that could easily be hacked into?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Does he do online banking, and do a lot of downloading? Maybe he's getting his info stolen by a virus that tracks his keystrokes.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, no online banking (unless you include Xbox, car insurance, and Netflix coming out of the bank account automatically online banking?) and no downloading.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I heard of a new way people can get credit card information...they basically build a debit machine like object that can scan your card information through clothes/bags/wallets. You don't see them do it, they just have to walk past you. You can buy covers for your cards that blocks them out.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would that work if his card is literally in the middle pocket of a thick leather wallet? And the wallet is generally in one of his pockets in his dickies?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Keylogger? Easy to decipher usernames/passwords? Unsecured network? Poor disposal of statements and such? Drug addicted relative/acquaintance capitalizing on such things? Has this been happening while living in the same area? Does he have a common first and last name(I.E. John Smith, etc.)?

There are many explanations and more info is needed to even make a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

Would that work if his card is literally in the middle pocket of a thick leather wallet? And the wallet is generally in one of his pockets in his dickies?
Seems unlikely if it's been happening for an extended period as you say, btw.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:

I think that depends on how good the thief is. With it happening this many times, it's probably someone he knows.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He doesn't have a common name (all the people with his last name here are related to him). He doesn't have easy to decipher passwords/code names. No drug-addicted relative. Yes, this has been happening while int he same area, so I'm wondering if it's the same person, or just bad luck? We have a secured internet password, the only people that know it are our neighbors, and they're friends of ours, so we know it's not them. What's a keylogger?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Quote:

He doesn't have a common name (all the people with his last name here are related to him). He doesn't have easy to decipher passwords/code names. No drug-addicted relative. Yes, this has been happening while int he same area, so I'm wondering if it's the same person, or just bad luck? We have a secured internet password, the only people that know it are our neighbors, and they're friends of ours, so we know it's not them. What's a keylogger?
Keyloggers are a form of malware that copy what you input with your keyboard/mouse and then sends it to whoever put the malware out there in the first place. Some also take screenshots.

For all we know, the first person who did it could have sold the info to someone else or something, as well.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was wrong about them all taking place around here. One time was in Washington, but the others were around here.

I doubt it was a Keylogger, the only places that have his debit card information are Netflix, Xbox Live, his bank (and Wells Fargo does NOT mess around), Amazon, and Blockbuster.

I'm starting to wonder if it was his exes sister, it wouldn't be the first time she tried to pull something stupid.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
I had ID theft about a year ago. Here's my advice:

Put a freeze on all three of your credit reports with these links:
https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freez...onalIDInfo.jsp
http://www.transunion.com/personal-c...t-freezes.page
http://www.experian.com/consumer/security_freeze.html

Call your bank an make them put a pin code or password on ALL telephone calls. The person who took advantage of me talked his way into changing my address to his and then getting them to send him a new debit card.

Get new debit cards & credit cards. Also, you may want to think about Bank Of America's Shopsafe. With it, you can generate virtual credit card numbers. If one gets abused, simply delete it and create a new number. Link to an article on it:
http://www.plasticrewards.com/blog/h...t-card-number/

Reset all your passwords and install a new antivirus (and scan your computer) and run Malwarebytes. I said to install a new AV program because your existing one may not be catching a problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Oh dear thats awful. I've never met anyone who's been a victim of identity theft, so I'd be suprised if it was random yet happened to him 4 times. I have no advice though, as you sound pretty careful anyway.

I work in insurance, so know how tight you have to be with data protection and notice when other companies arent as strict. I swear some companies are so lax. I called someone the other day (to do with their policy), just said something like "Hello is mr XXX available", and they told me that this was his work number, he was not in that day as it was his birthday, his personal mobile number, and his working hours. I didnt request any of the information, and they did not even ask where I was calling from! I'd be so annoyed if that was my secretary! point being, some rubbish staff somewhere couldve given out too much information by accident and like in sleepydvdr's case, been given access to view/change details etc.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I had ID theft about a year ago. Here's my advice:

Put a freeze on all three of your credit reports with these links:
https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freez...onalIDInfo.jsp
http://www.transunion.com/personal-c...t-freezes.page
http://www.experian.com/consumer/security_freeze.html

Call your bank an make them put a pin code or password on ALL telephone calls. The person who took advantage of me talked his way into changing my address to his and then getting them to send him a new debit card.

Get new debit cards & credit cards. Also, you may want to think about Bank Of America's Shopsafe. With it, you can generate virtual credit card numbers. If one gets abused, simply delete it and create a new number. Link to an article on it:
http://www.plasticrewards.com/blog/h...t-card-number/

Reset all your passwords and install a new antivirus (and scan your computer) and run Malwarebytes. I said to install a new AV program because your existing one may not be catching a problem.

Good luck!
^Great advice!

Quote:

I'm starting to wonder if it was his exes sister, it wouldn't be the first time she tried to pull something stupid.
WTF is up with this ex of his? Not only is she bat**** crazy but her entire family is also? It must be a nightmare to deal with these people.

Does he use his debit/credit card frequently at any restaurant?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

WTF is up with this ex of his? Not only is she bat**** crazy but her entire family is also? It must be a nightmare to deal with these people.

Does he use his debit/credit card frequently at any restaurant?
1) Yes, they are ALL bat-**** crazy, and they also believe that her/they can do no wrong.

2) Apart from Subway, no not really. And that's not even that frequent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts