VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself to be pretty fit. I run on my elliptical machine for twenty minutes a few time a week, I hike up to the top of a small mountain just about everyday, and I go for long walks whenever I can. Lately, though, muscles have been feeling stiff. They don't hurt. They just don't want to stretch. I think I eat OK. I get enough protein, I'm always eating fruits and veggies, and beans are always on the menu. Any ideas?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do you stretch before and after your workouts?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Stretching first thing in the morning may help. or, just more stretching may do the job.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
As someone who does 1,000 calories on the elliptical a few times a week before work, I'm going with stretching. I don't stretch before hand (muscles aren't warmed up and tight, not much point), afterward however, it's critical, both for how fast you'll recover and in reducing the amount of stiffness or discomfort you'll experience. A mistake I made when I was first getting in shape was not holding the stretching position long enough or going back to it to get a little more out of it. You have to really stay there for a at least 2 minutes per stretch (the longer the better). Do a few rounds of stretching, meaning go back to the first one you started with and try and go a little deeper. I used to not stretch properly and now that I do I realize it makes all the difference. I figured out that if I don't allow for the amount of time I need to do it properly, I will pay for it in increased soreness, longer recover times and going to the gym less and having less productive workouts when I do get there.<br><br>
Like I said, I save all my "stretch time" for afterward when you can get the most out of it for the time your spending. In certain instances, it may make sense to warm up just slightly then stretch, workout and stretch again, but I can't see it for something like the elliptical.

·
Registered
128 Posts
New England Vegan-- You may want to consider some ballistic stretching before workout out, this can help prevent injuries and warm you up a bit more.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I haven't replied. I've been sick... I don't really stretch, but I never have, and this is a new issue. I guess it's because I'm getting older. Sigh, I guess I should start stretching. Any good recommendations on what kinds?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts