VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Dim Sum in Windsor, Canada and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Sticky Rice at both places was identical. (this was some time ago.) I would like to make it without meat.<br><br><br><br>
The rice is wrappped in a lotus leaf, quite compact, stuck together in a "cake"but not gummy. Some of the grains are golden on the bottom. The waitress told me the secret was the sauce (?).<br><br><br><br>
I tried glutinous rice from the Asian store, soaked it overnite and steamed it quite a while, it came close, but the grains weren't nearly as plump. And of course, I don't know what the secret sauce was. Thanks much.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I don't have much luck with mochi rice (glutinous rice....why they call it this I do not know since it has no gluten....*s*).<br><br><br><br>
Anyway - I know exactly what you're talking about in the way of how the rice sticks together in a type of cake (not unlike rice in sushi). I am not sure I understand the exact texture of the rice you are describing (plumper than mochi rice would be pretty plump).<br><br><br><br>
I'd try using Japanese short grain rice.<br><br>
Wish I could help more. If it was Sushi rice you were making I could give you actual instructions.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jasmine rice works well! the brand I bought had "Thai" on the label. It was awesome, came in a small box, cost a good bit, but was the best rice I have made besides wild & brown. I always admired sticky rice and never thought I could make it till I found jasmine. Very aromatic & full of flavor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts