VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-...b_1253246.html

Quote:
"Anybody who says they don't have a sweet tooth is a total liar," says Doron Petersan, defending champ of Cupcake Wars and the head of Sticky Fingers Sweets & Eats. A DC institution since 1999, Sticky Fingers is the bakery of your childhood fantasies, with eye-popping arrays of outrageous cupcakes, ooey-gooey brownies, whoopie pies, mile-high layer cakes swirled with buttercream, sticky cinnamon buns -- and they're all vegan.
\t
Did your face just fall? Fear not. Sticky Fingers' cupcakes bested them on all on Food Network not because they're vegan, but because they're "fun, exciting. Flavor comes first." Sweet and decadent follow close behind.
\t
Petersan grew up in Queens and upstate New York, the daughter of an Italian mom who fed her family healthy, wholesome food. "She baked a lot of bread, made healthier things like banana muffins, zucchini bread."
\t
Very nice, but what Petersan craved was "chocolate-covered chocolate." As the tatted temptress writes in the introduction of her brand new book Sticky Fingers' Sweets, "We all know how to make carob-covered frozen bananas and applesauce flaxseed bulgur muffins. You won't find those here."
\t
Sticky Fingers' Sweets reveals all the bakery's secrets, including recipes for the cupcakes that won the war, like chocolate banana Gilbert Ganachefried cupcakes and the George Caramelin, chocolate-spice cupcakes with bourbon caramel and bourbon and vanilla bean frosting. Fun, definitely, but there's more than a little science behind it, and in Petersan's hands, science is sweet and sexy.
\t
Having worked in restaurants throughout her teens, Petersan got a degree in nutrition at the University of Maryland. The way the body metabolizes different ingredients, well, that's good to know, but what she liked best was "the science behind food," the chemical interactions enabling her to make the fluffy, sweet, baked goods she craved without using animal products.
\t
Petersan had been working as a veterinary tech and went meatless the first time she audited a dog in surgery. "The inside of the dog was like the inside of the chicken breast I'd had the evening before," she says. "That was it for me." She knew giving up meat was right. She just wasn't happy about it. "I was sad because I thought I was giving up all my favorites. I learned it was not that way at all."
\t
Being vegan "is more fun," she says. "It's opened up my palate, made me more creative with my cooking and baking. It's our mission to be make fun food that is vegan, that is friendly to the animals and the environment, but first and foremost, it's great food."\t

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Ah, I don't actually have very much of a sweet tooth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts