VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone in here used stevia? Is it any good? Is it veg*an? I'm hearing more and more about it, but haven't used it yet.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I use it and really like it. I haven't had good success baking with it but use it tea all the time. I prefer the kind with the bulking agent so you can measure 1/8 tsp into your tea (1/8 tsp equals 1tsp sugar) other wise it is something like 1/32 of a tsp equals 1 tsp sugar and it was too faffy to try to measure out 1/32 of a tsp. If I make up a litre of fruit tea and let it cool then I add the juice of half a lemon and 1 tsp stevia to sweeten the whole litre. It tastes like Kool aid or crystal lite to me.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i've used it too, although have pretty much gotten away from all substitute sweeteners, but I'd say would be my favorite. There are a couple of teas I still use it in though. It doesn't spike blood sugars and it isn't an artificial chemical like others are. I buy the NOW brand...it is vegan, and I literally use a sprinkle. I don't even use the tiny spoon that comes in the package. It is concentrated or really an extract if you buy it that way, and you can also get them in packets with bulking agents. If you are concerned about the parent companies and their ethics, don't buy Truvia, which is made by Cargill.

If you use too much of it, you'll find it to be bitter.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I know it's better than the rest of them but I don't like it. I tried the little packets and I found that they have a very funky aftertaste. I don't notice it in products that already contain stevia but if I'm adding it to something myself then I definitely taste it.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I tried a couple of brands and they were different, but I didn't like either one.
My nfs has it in bulk, and I guess it's just the powdered leaves. Has anyone tried it like that?
The packaged ones had other things in them.
I agree that I've liked packaged things with it -like Silk light chocolate.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
well, with the extract which is concentrated, you have to use very little, or it will be bitter....I have truvia in the house that my hubby bought, but I told him I didn't want to use it because they had the bulking agents in the pkg. It just sits there now!

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
I have had two name brands of stevia. Both of them said they were made to be "not bitter". Well, they were both very bitter to me.

There is a fairly new product called Truvia. It is made from stevia, but processed differently. This stuff is amazing. To me, it actually tastes like sugar, it is not bitter and does not leave an aftertaste. I have never had a better tasting sugar substitute. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I have had two name brands of stevia. Both of them said they were made to be "not bitter". Well, they were both very bitter to me.

There is a fairly new product called Truvia. It is made from stevia, but processed differently. This stuff is amazing. To me, it actually tastes like sugar, it is not bitter and does not leave an aftertaste. I have never had a better tasting sugar substitute. Highly recommended.
i should mail you my truvia......jk, hopefully people will use if they come over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts