VeggieBoards banner

stevia recipes

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jeneticallymodified 
#1 ·
Most people do not use stevia, so it's pretty hard to find cookbooks that incorporate it. I have a couple of cookbooks, but a lot of the recipes are not realistic. (in other words...they usually call for weird ingredients or take forever to prepare/cook)

So....I decided to bring this topic to all of you. I would like to know if anyone else out there uses stevia, and if so, what are the recipes that you use it in.

I will start things off with this easy recipe that I found in my cookbook:

Pecan Sandies

1 cup vegan butter

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour (or whatever kind you like)

1/2 tsp. stevioside

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup pecans, finely chopped

Coating

1 cup finely chopped pecans

1/8 teaspoon stevioside

In a mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add about half of the flour, stevia, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon water. Beat till thoroughly combined. Beat in remaining flour. Stir in 1 cup of finely chopped pecans. In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup finely chopped pecans with stevia. Shape dough into crescents, 1-inch balls or 2-inch fingers. Press into pecan mixture covering the cookies completely. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 325 degree F oven about 20 minutes or till bottoms are lightly browned. Cool cookies on a wire rack.

I haven't made these, but they looked really yum.

See less See more
#3 ·
i use it. i use it more for coffe and to stir in my oatmeal and things like that, than i do in baking, there always seems to be splenda in my house so i use that for baking.

ive made apple sauce and different pie fillings with stevia. im still not very familiar with it as a baking ingredient though, when i use it i just adjust the wet and dry ingredients on the fly and sometimes it comes out and sometimes it doesnt lol.

#4 ·
I have so many recipes that i use stevia with. I know this was posted a while back but if anyone stumbles upon this again they will now have my recipes too.

Cocoa Almond Pudding

This makes a delicious pie filling for pie crust in the raw, or layered with fruit for fruit parfait, or served frozen as almond sorbet.

1 cup coconut milk

2-3 TB Almond butter

6 large dates, pits removed and chopped

2 TB un-roasted cocoa powder

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Pinch sea salt

8-10 drops vanilla crème liquid sweetleaf stevia

Blend all ingredients in a food processor until creamy. Adjust sweetness to taste.

Brownie Bites

From Food and Wine, September 2006

Ingredients

-½ cup plus 2 tablespoons Bob's Red Mill gluten-free, all-purpose baking flour, or you can use oat flour, rice flour or almond flour (our bodies digest these grains better)

-1 teaspoon liquid SweetLeaf stevia, or 10-12 packets SweetLeaf SteviaPlus, or 1/3 teaspoon SweetLeaf -stevia extract powder.

-1/4 cup raw, unsweetened cocoa powder

-1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder

-1/8 teaspoon baking soda

-½ teaspoon sea salt

-¼ teaspoon xanthan gum

-1 cup applesauce

-¼ cup coconut oil

-1 tablespoon vanilla extract (or you can use the Vanilla Crème Sweetleaf stevia in place of vanilla)

-½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I used Sunspire brand Organic Semi-Sweet chocolate chips, which are dairy free)

Method

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat mini-muffin pan with coconut oil. (KOD note: Use mini-muffin liners if you can find them; they give some shape to end result.)

In a medium bowl, combine baking flour, stevia, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, sea-salt and xanthan gum.

In another bowl, whisk applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla, then stir into dry ingredients.

Stir in chocolate chips.

Spoon batter into muffin tin, filling them three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes, or until set.

Allow brownies to cool in pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.

Sautéed Apples

4 apples peeled and cored, cut into bite size pieces

1 tablespoon coconut oil, or 1 pat of butter

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

Dash nutmeg

12-14 drops English toffee liquid sweetleaf stevia

Sautee apples in oil or butter until soft add all other ingredients, serve warm

Mango-melon Salsa

Ingredients:

1 cup diced melon (select according to season)

1 cup fresh mango, peeled and diced

1/2 serrano (or milder) chili, seeded and minced

1 teaspoon fresh mint, shredded

1 Tablespoon lime juice

1/2 cup diced pineapple

1 Tablespoon ground ginger

1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped

3 drops lemon drop liquid sweetleaf stevia

Instructions:

Combine all ingredients in non-reactive pan and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate until serving (actually tastes better the second day!).

Makes about 2 cups.

#5 ·
i try and use stevia in reciepes, but i'm not as yet very successful, i think at least in part due to the fact i don't use fruit (applesauce, etc) other sweeteners (maple syrup, etc) or wheat flour. i do really apprieciate the opportunity to find recipes though, and if i make anything myself, thats worth eating, i'll definately share the reciepes.

so far, this is my forte:

reeces style peanutbutter chocolate milkshake:

1/2 pint vanilla/plain ricemilk

1/2 pint chocolate ricemilk

large teaspoon/soupspoon smooth peanut butter/cashew butter

teaspoon cocoa powder

probably about half a pippette of liquid stevia (probably about 1/4 teaspoon full)

put all ingredients in big measuring jug/blender. turn on blender or use stickblender in jug to mix to a smooth creamy milkshake thingy. pour over ice (optional). drink.

#6 ·
I use stevia quite a bit, a couple of times I actually got a plant to grow and harvested a couple or ounces of green leaf. I prefer the taste of the leaf as I find an aftertaste with the cocentrated powders. But I still use all the different types of stevia products at different times. Here is an easy recipe for a sorta faux paux icing sugar.

Powdered Stevia Garnish

A decoration for desserts, cakes or cookies.

>2 tblsp. cornstarch or arrowroot powder

>1/8 tsp, Stevia extract powder

Thoroughly mix together the 2 ingredients. Spoon into a small jar, cover, and store in cupboard.

To use, spoon 1/2 tsp. garnish into a mesh tea strainer and gently shake over the surface of the dessert, cake or cookies. For a decorative touch, place a paper or plastic doily atop and sift on the garnish. Lift doily to reveal a lovely pattern.

#7 ·
I use stevia to make my own cakes and bread. Ingredients I use also include amaranth and quinoa flour, organic coconut oil, raw carob powder, basically anything else I want to add (fruits or vegetables, depending on my mood).

I also use stevia in drinks, adding it to chocolate soy or almond milk, and seltzer, to make a non-fattening egg cream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.