VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People here talk about just soaking them overnight and eating them. Mine are still raw after overnight soaking.

I try to follow the instructions on the package for cooking. Laughable, just cook for 15 minutes. I have to add 1.5 times the water it calls for and cook them at a very low temp for 1.5 hours.

I like them a little al dente but there's no way I could digest them unless they are mostly cooked.

Pressure cooker--OMG. I think they came out right once. I can't repeat those results. Starchy goo just comes out of the vent, and they're still uncooked.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
We use a rice cooker for steel cut. When my mom comes to visit she wil make them on the stovetop but my husband and I never do that.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I cook mine on the stove, like the package says, no problem. They should only take 30-45 min.

Have you ever had them before? They don't get at all mushy like rolled oats. They will be pretty firm, but once the "starchy goo" has developed they should be close to done.

I have gotten 15-min steal cut oats from my grocery store in the past. Maybe you could try that.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I first had them in a restaurant and they were so delicious, not mushy.

I buy the Bob whatshisname ones every time and they are always so dry. It takes at least an hour for the "starcy goo" to develop.

I always try a bit after 15, 30, 60 minutes and they are always still dry inside.

???

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I use my black and decker rice/veggie steamer to cook mine. I have also made them in my crock pot overnight with good results.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so I tried the overnight oats again.

I soaked them for 48 hours in water. Raw and brittle inside. I cooked them for another 20 minutes and they are not even al dente yet. :x

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you've ever peeked at the "My vegan breakfast, lunch, and dinner" thread, you would see that I eat a LOT of steel cut oats. They're one of my favorite breakfast foods. Here's what I do:

I buy the bulk steel cut oats from the bin. I put 1 cup of oats and 4 cups of cold water in a nonstick pan. (Nothing but oats and water.) I turn it on high until it's boiling. Then I cover the pot, turn the flame down VERY low and go about my morning, showering, feeding the dog, etc. After 15 minutes or so, I'll stir the pot. After 25-30 minutes I'll check it again. Some days it takes 25 minutes, other days it takes almost 40 minutes. I have no idea why. I just keep it on VERY low heat until they're done. Then I dish up a bowl for breakfast, put the rest in individual tupperware containers and reheat the next day and day after for breakfast. It only takes about 2 minutes in the microwave to reheat the cooked oats.

If you don't have time to do that in the morning, try cooking up a batch tonight. Just make sure you bring it to a boil first and then turn the heat down VERY low until it's cooked the rest of the way.

I'd concentrate on getting the basic recipe down first, but once you've got that down, you could try toasting the oats before cooking. Just put a cup of dry oats in the pot you're going to cook them in with a tablespoon of Earth Balance. Cook until the oats are golden. Then add 4 cups of water and cook as you normally would.

Don't give up! It's definitely worth figuring out your favorite way to cook steel cut oats. Yum!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I usually cook mine on the stove for ~30 minutes. I add chopped apples and chia while it's cooking, and then after it's done I add cinnamon and ground flax. I occasionally add agave nectar too when I want it to be sweeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenish View Post

Then I dish up a bowl for breakfast, put the rest in individual tupperware containers and reheat the next day and day after for breakfast. It only takes about 2 minutes in the microwave to reheat the cooked oats.
That is what I do- I cook it the night before and put into individual containers so all I have to do is reheat for breakfast!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

OK, so I tried the overnight oats again.

I soaked them for 48 hours in water. Raw and brittle inside. I cooked them for another 20 minutes and they are not even al dente yet. :x
You don't need to soak them. Some people say it makes them cook faster, but it's just not necessary. If you want to eat them raw, I couldn't help you there.

Quote:
I always try a bit after 15, 30, 60 minutes and they are always still dry inside.
That definitely sounds wrong. You sure they aren't whole oats? I use Bob's Red Mill as well but haven't had any trouble with them cooking properly. You can always try adding baking soda (just a pinch), it hastens the breakdown of the cell walls (I don't like the texture that results from using baking soda on oatmeal, though, so I don't use it).

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I just did some up in the pressure cooker. Bob's Red Mill organic. I did 3.5 cups water to 1 cup oats, dash of salt and just a little oil. 10 min at full pressure and slow release. Turned out good, probably can cut the water back 1/4 cup.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
greenish--That is the only procedure I've used that has ever worked. People keep saying you can just soak them overnight & not cook them, etc., which made me think I was doing something wrong.

Oh, pressure cooker--the starch poured out of the vent of mine and made a coating on my stove similar to what I imagine cooked glue to be like.

hmm...ok...maybe mine are stale, according to the recipe. We have no other brands or bulk steel cut oats around here. I guess I will just keep cooking slowly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts