VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BBQ Tofu Buns (Adapted from China Express by Nina Simonds)

Dough:

Ingredients:

2 tbsp. sugar
1 c. warm water
1/2 tbsp. yeast
3 c. all purpose flour
1 tbsp. neutral oil
1 tsp. baking powder

Instructions:

Mix sugar, water, and yeast, let sit for a few minutes until it foams. Add flour and oil and mix to combine, then knead until smooth and elastic. Let it rise in a greased bowl for 3-4 hours (should triple in size). Just before using, knead in the baking powder.

Filling:

Ingredients:

1 lb. extra firm tofupressed if you want but it's not essential

BBQ Sauce:

1/3 c. hoisin sauce
2 tbsp. ketchup
1 1/2 tbsp. rice wineI used mirin
3 cloves of garlic, crushed, minced, or whatever
1 tbsp. soy sauce

"Oyster" Sauce:

2 tbsp. vegetarian oyster sauceit's mushroom based, I found mine at an asian market by the non-veg variety
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tbsp. ketchup
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. corn starch

Instructions:

Mix the bbq sauce ingredients. Cut the tofu widthwise into 4 slabs and marinate in the bbq sauce in a small baking dish overnight (or just for as long as you want). Bake at 375 for half an hour, flipping the tofu halfway through.

Chop the baked tofu into quarter inch cubes, reserving the marinate. Mix the reserved marinate with the "oyster" sauce ingredients and heat in a sauce pan until thickened. Add in the chopped tofu and stir to coat. Cool in the fridge.

Divide the dough (after adding the baking powder) into 16 pieces. Roll out into a 3 inch round. Add a spoonful of the tofu filling in the center and gather the edges together, sealing the bun. Be careful not to overfill, or the filling will leak out, as happened with about a third of mine. Let rise for 15 minutes.

Place sealed side down in a steamer and steam for 15-20 minutes. They'll expand more so don't put them too close together. Unless you've got a massive steamer you'll probably have to do two batches.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Very ambitious, I'm impressed! Looks like you did a really good thing here!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts