VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Next week is London Fashion Week and catwalks again will be full of skinny models. So what does a "size zero" diet do to you? Dawn Porter went on a crash slimming course and found a perverse, and worrying, comfort in her misery.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6335077.stm

Yes more size 0 obsession.

This was just shown on BBC three here in the U.K and I have to say especially after reading the article, it's incredably distrubing. Not only the fact that hundreds of people are starving themselves to reach a certain size, but the fact a journalist decided to actually follow such a lifestyle. .

If anyone wants to see the documentary you should be able to view it from the link.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
*sigh*

I'll be a size 0 when I'm dead.

I was just reading that ASDA has decided to start carrying size 0 line clothes, cashing in on the media attention. *******s.

Ugh.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

*sigh*

I'll be a size 0 when I'm dead.
I'll be a size 0 when I'm dead and my pelvis is crushed by some large snake like creature, all the bone fragments should barely be able to fit into a pair of size 0 pants...maybe I should go on a bone shrinking diet?

I think it's sad that even at this unhealthy size she would still be allowed on the catwalk in those citys that have set BMI limits for models. It's not like it's super hard to find attractive women of a healthy weight, dress them up in pretty clothes and send the starved skinnies to a buffet.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Sizing is entirely arbitrary, at least in women's clothing, and there is no standardized sizing. What used to be a size ten a few decades ago is now an eight, but there are other clothing lines where an eight feels closer to a six. There are some clothing lines which offer a -1, for heaven's sake. (I think they have those at The Gap). What's the point of that? Why not start with a regular 1, and go from there? Do these companies or fashion designers really want 19 year old pencils walking around boasting that they starved themselves down to a -2?

I'm usually a size six (petites), but I do have one pair of pants which are a size four, but they fit me like a six. It has to do with how they're cut, but with body shape as well. I can try on a whole stack of pants in certain styles in sixes and fours, but neither size will fit me exactly right.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Yeah, I'm ashamed to say that I still get hung up on the 'numbers' sometimes. I like to shop for pants in NY and Co. because I can always get a size smaller there. I mean, who am I kidding??? It's silly really. You can look better/thinner in the larger size, especially if it fits you perfectly, than you do in the smaller size, depending on the style. I'm learning though. Besides, I don't have the self control to 'starve' myself so I will never be 'thin'. I'd rather have nice hair!!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The one thing I remember from the Facts of Life was Natalie saying something like "Who wants to be a skinny pencil? I'd rather be a happy magic marker"

So that's me. A bright colourful and chubby magic marker.

yes, the number size thing used to really get me down...but part of my "going plain" was to get away from that. To get away from that body obsession and number game. My dresses are loose and comfortable. My aprons are pretty and useful. I feel lively and happy when I wear them. I never look in the mirror anymore as I pass by and think "God...you look so fat and horrible"

I remember being a size 0.....in the 8th grade. It was a big deal because I had been so small for so long that they thought I would never grow. I grew 8 inches taller that year and was so excited to be in "grown up sizes"--with the full intention of moving through the numbers. A size 0 is for girls.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
That's really sad that there is so much focus on such extreme thinnes. Sizes are all out of whack anyways. I usually am somewhere between a 7 and 9 in pants but one time I tried on a size 5 dress because it looked big for a size 5, and it was way too big for me.

Some people just have a shape that will not allow them to fit into such small clothes. My BMI right now is 21, and even if I lost 50 pounds I wouldn't fit into pants much smaller than the pants I now own, simply because I have wide hips. I can't change my bone structure. I understand that, but sadly many women/girls do not. I focus on the fact that I am at a healthy weight, and am happy with my body. Sadly, many women/girls do not. Society needs to change their ideals, and until they do, this will continue to happen.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
That kind of creeped me out, in that I lost the same # of pounds recently, and my BMI went from the same number to the same number, but I definitely didn't starve myself (I eat about 1,800-2,000 calories a day to maintain).

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

Okay, but what about the people that don't starve themselves to be a size 0? I am far from a size 0, but my mom generally wears a 0 or 2. I don't think she's a skeleton or deserves to be mocked or worried over.

I think size-centered articles like this have good intentions, but they do as much harm as good. Why can't people just promote *health* and leave the sizes out of it?
That's kind of what I was getting at, sarahjayn. I lost weight because I started exercising, and improved the overall healthiness of my diet. I've always been slim, until a few years ago when I got carried away with vegan desserts. Even then I wasn't a big girl by most people's standards, but it was unhealthy weight on my frame brought about by being sedentary and eating too many sweets.

I agree 100% that health is what should be promoted. If someone is eating healthy whole foods and exercising regularly, it really doesn't matter if they're 110 pounds or 250 pounds or whatever. Different people have different shapes.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I think the point of this article was focused on the people who aren't size 0, their body doesn't want them to be a size 0, and they probably couldn't even be size 0 if they starved themselves. Some people have these expectations that they can starve themselves to look a certain way. Some people eat healthy, exercise regularly (not obsessively) and are a size 0. Some people are perfectly healthy at a size 0. But for most of the population, that is dangerously thin.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

Okay, but what about the people that don't starve themselves to be a size 0? I am far from a size 0, but my mom generally wears a 0 or 2. I don't think she's a skeleton or deserves to be mocked or worried over.

I think size-centered articles like this have good intentions, but they do as much harm as good. Why can't people just promote *health* and leave the sizes out of it?
Yeah, that's what was running through my head. People should feel good about their bodies no matter what size, without claiming to be healthier or more attractive than size 0 people or thin people in general. That's rude and a double standard. Anyway, I am not a size 0; the closest I've ever been is a 3. I don't really understand why the author of the article would risk her health like that. What if she got truly stuck into the mindset of an ED person? I don't know, I just don't see the point.

·
Baby Love
5,812 Posts
Jen, whats ASDA?

I wonder if this journalist is the same woman I came across months ago on LJ. She was a British journalist testing out an LA type Diet and called her journal Super Slim Me.

Overall, American sizes are inconsistant crap. Within my lifetime, at a similar weight, I've worn everything from size 11 (in junior high) to size 00 (a few years ago). A lot of it was dependent on the store. My body hasn't changed nearly as much as the labels. Its annoying, as well as confusing. Despite being in my extra self-conscious jr high years, I don't remember having an issue with buying an 11, mainly because sizes weren't hyped as much. No one was telling me it was a good or a bad size, it was jsut the size that fit. I wish the media would focus on being healthy, rather than this constant too fat too thin battle.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Forcing the body to a size 0 is a problem, I agree.

I am 5'2", 118 pounds or so, and at some stores I wear a size 0. No, you can't see my ribs, and I do eat pretty well (most of us need to eat more veggies, right?). I also wear size 6 at some stores, so who knows what size I am.

There are a multitude of issues complicating the messages we're giving people: vanity sizing which caters to wanting to be a certain number, the obesity problem in the US in particular and the constant news reports about how we have to do something or we'll have a health crisis, plus super-thin models setting the "standard" of beauty. It's pretty complicated.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

That kind of creeped me out, in that I lost the same # of pounds recently, and my BMI went from the same number to the same number, but I definitely didn't starve myself (I eat about 1,800-2,000 calories a day to maintain).
Some people normally have a low bmi because of their frame, genes, etc. if you didn't starve yourself don't worry about it (and maybe consider cashing in on your weight, j/k).

Because of my height and the fact that I have 41" hips on a "I was just sick and haven't eaten in a week" day I typically wear several sizes bigger than all the other girls my age. I can't tell you how many times one of my friends has seen a pair of my pants (not on me) and exclaimed "they're SO BIG", which sucked growing up and I did try to get down to their tiny sizes but I had to get over it. The Dr. say I'm healthy, I feel healthy and I have a pretty awesome body and a number is just a number.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
What she said.

I go through phases. I must admit, it was frustrating after the move to discover that I was suddenly 2 sizes larger. I know it's in my head, but ugh..I need to leave this thread.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I agree with what Amy SF said earlier. The sizes are all out of proportion! Every clothing line sizes are different and rarely follow a standard. I naturally have wide hips but I did wear a size 0 at one time - not because I was starving myself to be a size 0 but because I was very active at the time and trying to eat a really low fat 'healthy' diet (my beginning years of veggie-ness) and ended up that way.

I do have a faster metabolism - If I start working out on a daily basis, the pounds just melt off me. I do remember some of my friends telling me back when I was a 0 that I was too skinny (of course, they were all on diets so I don't know if I really looked bad or they were just mad at me). When I was very young, I was too skinny and couldn't gain weight. I remember the some jerky guy in my grammar school calling me Toothpick (not that I cared - he was a toothpick himself) but, that said, being super skinny isnt' always a picnic either.

I do remember that I didn't fit in the size 0 for all the places I shopped at for clothes though. I had to get the size 3 or 2 at other odd places. And sometimes the XS fit just right and sometimes I would have to go for the S.

I didn't bother me at all. I don't go by size or what I weigh (I have no idea of how much I weight right now) I go by how I look and how my clothes fit me. If I look in the mirror and say "Dang, I look pretty decent" than that is enough for me. Right now, I wear a size 4 in Gap sizes. I don't ever aspire to be a size 0 again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts