VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been a vegetarian for about three weeks now and nearly all cravings have disappeared and in its place, I'm beginning to feel sick (like slightly queasy) at the thought and sight of meat. I've been watching the Oscars and there was a commercial which came on during the break for a fast food chain advertising a reuben sandwich and looking at the MOUNTAIN of greasy meat literally caused my stomach to hurt.

Have other vegetarians felt this way regarding meat, especially newbies?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
Most of the time I do, sometimes I don't. I regret that some smells still make my mouth water, even if I would never actually eat it. But some images I do find gross. I watched a train go by with Subway ads plastered on the side, giant ham sandwiches, and it really turned me off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really is turning me off these days. The words 'dead animal flesh' keep streaming throughout my mind when I see meat. It's actually starting to become disgusting to me, bleh!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
That's good, because that's exactly what it is. If you always think of it like that, you're not likely to fall off the veg wagon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep--reading boards like these and looking up meat-free recipes is real inspiration to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaRoses View Post

It really is turning me off these days. The words 'dead animal flesh' keep streaming throughout my mind when I see meat. It's actually starting to become disgusting to me, bleh!
Congrats on seeing the light! I didn't find meat itself disgusting when I gave it up, it was the cruelty aspect that made me change so it took me a lot longer to feel the way you do. But yeh, now I can't bear to look at it, touch it, or smell it, especially raw. A lot of people feel like you do from the beginning though so you will be in good company here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
Oh yes, that happened to me, too! I remember when I first went vegetarian, it seemed like all of a sudden I SAW the meat ads everywhere. It was on the radio, TV, billboards, buses, you name it. Everywhere!

I don't see food, I see dead animals, and like you, it makes me feel sick.

It's been 5 years for me and I promise it gets better. Unless you watch a lot of TV and spend a lot of time in the city
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Nishani! Primarily, I cut meat out of my diet for health reasons. Compared to now, I felt more weighed down. I wanted to improve my eating practices in general and I feel for lack of a better word, "lighter', have lost a few pounds and am eating more fresh veggies. I've always LOVED salads, especially spinach and romaine salads, and am eating them constantly.

It actually made perfect sense to me why I felt more "weighed down" beforehand, when I read online that it takes a longer period of time for the human body to digest meat. Maybe it's not that good for the body at all if it takes longer for it even to be digested!

However, although health is the main reason, I also care about animals and feel pretty good about not consuming them any longer.

Vegetarianism is a lot of fun. I'm enjoying exploring this!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I wish something like that would happen to me, i have been ve*gan for years and the smell of most animal products still make my mouth water. At bbqs I always sit close to the grill. I wish they would make faux meat that actually tasted like the real thing, I miss steak and lobster...... Oddly enough there still are some veggies that while being cooked I hate the smell but love the final taste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,456 Posts
Not really for me. I liked the taste of meat. Even now, I still watch shows like Bizarre Foods and Food Network.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdish View Post

Oddly enough there still are some veggies that while being cooked I hate the smell but love the final taste.
Like brussel sprouts drenched in Earth Balance?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, that's what is beginning to happen! I remember the ads for the 'double-down' sandwich (this is when I was still a meat eater) and those three, four meat patty burgers certain chains were selling and even then, I was disgusted. I ate a lot of chicken (too much, really), occasionally a steak w/salad and very rarely pork. However, I've been learning more about the poultry and beef industries and it's disturbing me, to say the least. I don't miss it. Last Thanksgiving, I cooked an entire turkey dinner and when I roasted the frankenbird, it was a disaster. The whole thing left a bitter taste in my mouth and now I'm thinking that I am so glad I don't have to bother with any of it this Thanksgiving. I'm not missing anything either! I really feel that I don't need meat and a lot of other people don't either. It is more exciting, varied, and not to mention healthful to explore all of the veggies, grains, etc. nature and God has to offer.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaRoses View Post

So I've been a vegetarian for about three weeks now and nearly all cravings have disappeared and in its place, I'm beginning to feel sick (like slightly queasy) at the thought and sight of meat. I've been watching the Oscars and there was a commercial which came on during the break for a fast food chain advertising a reuben sandwich and looking at the MOUNTAIN of greasy meat literally caused my stomach to hurt.

Have other vegetarians felt this way regarding meat, especially newbies?
A bit freaky that it should taken 3 weeks for you to feel like that.

I never meant to be vegetarian but I spent about 3-4 weeks off of meat and after that it tasted so bad i could't eat it again.

Took nearly a year before fish tasted just as bad as well.

Werlcome to the forum, btw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Not really for me. I liked the taste of meat. Even now, I still watch shows like Bizarre Foods and Food Network.
Oooh, so do I!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
Its not only a dead animal I see, its unhealthy processed meats and what gets me they use artificial props to make things looks better and when you get the item you don't get the same exact thing you ordered it looks different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

A bit freaky that it should taken 3 weeks for you to feel like that.

I never meant to be vegetarian but I spent about 3-4 weeks off of meat and after that it tasted so bad i could't eat it again.

Took nearly a year before fish tasted just as bad as well.

Werlcome to the forum, btw
Thanks for the welcome! Fish I DEFINITELY don't miss because I never liked it to begin with. I'm to the point where the meat cravings have gone away and now I have cravings for foods like grapes, spinach, roasted brussel sprouts, veggie burgers, etc. I'm really happy with my choice and I feel so much better too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

Its not only a dead animal I see, its unhealthy processed meats and what gets me they use artificial props to make things looks better and when you get the item you don't get the same exact thing you ordered it looks different.
Yeah, I hear you. The things that go into the meat itself almost scared me more than the meat itself. It really brought it home when I read, recently, of the stuff going into certain fast-food chains' "burgers". Yeesh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
This is actually happening to me too! I admit sometimes it stills makes my mouth water, but more and more the sight of meat turns me off. Of course, I was never a huge fan of meat in the first place, I hated beef because of the 'hard stuff' that I always found in it. :p And fat, I hated the fat so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentimental_Soul View Post

This is actually happening to me too! I admit sometimes it stills makes my mouth water, but more and more the sight of meat turns me off. Of course, I was never a huge fan of meat in the first place, I hated beef because of the 'hard stuff' that I always found in it. :p And fat, I hated the fat so much.
Yeah, it happened again to me today--feeling sick at the sight of meat! It's interesting to know that some other vegetarians feel this way too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
909 Posts
Nope, not me. I've been vegan for about 3.5 years, and I know I could still enjoy the taste. Doesn't gross me out at all. However, knowing that the meat comes from killed animals makes it surprisingly easy to not get any (the same applies to other animal products).
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top