VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone! new to this site and I'm loving all the positivity I'm seeing already.

I've been a vegan for a while but I recently just switched to High-Carb-Low-Fat Starch-Based style of eating (as opposed to shamelessly eating 3-4 peanutbutterbanana sandwiches a day). I'm losing weight quickly, I'm loving everything I'm putting in my mouth, I don't count calories and I eat until I'm full. Awesome, right?

well..

I was living in Ireland when I switched to starchy, and I was eating potatoes at every meal. If you're also HCLF or starchy at all, you know that potatoes make up a big bulk of the "recommended" diet, and I LOVE that, but lately I've been having some problems with them.

Two weeks ago, I moved back to Canada for a few months, and since arriving, every time I have a white-potato-based-meal, I get terrible cramps and awful gas.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is it the strain of potato I'm eating? Is there anything I can do about it, or should I just stick to rice, fruit, grains and beans until I go home to Ireland? I would hate miss out on my big pots of tater mash and fries. :(

·
Registered
290 Posts
the first thing that i thought of is that maybe the potatoes are not completely cooked.

or maybe there is something on the skins that you must remove.

is this the only change in your diet? or is it something else?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could try cooking them longer, but I always boil/steam/bake until the fork goes through effortlessly and the flesh flakes when pulled at. The skins might be an issue too. I always scrub my veg, but I'll try peeling them nest time and see how that works.

it's the only change I can think of. I'm pretty boring and consistent. Thanks a bunch for your suggestions!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts