VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, I don't know how to search the forum without clicking through every page but is anyone doing the Starch Solution?

I've heard great things about it and I heard it's more effective for weight loss than Raw til 4, just wondered if anyone could personally vouch for that?

What exactly do you eat? I know it's a lot of starches but I don't really know where to start (without buying the book, which I should probably do!!).

Thanks
Tania x

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I am definitely curious about it and have considered it.

I do eat a lot of the Dr. MacDougal stuff for lunches at work.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I read the book, and I follow a loose interpretation of his diet. (I have no weight to lose however!)

Basically I base my meals around starch, and add veggies or fruit, and a little protien.

(sample)Breakfast- 1 cup cereal, a sliced banana, and a few almonds.

Lunch- 1.5 cups rice, 1/2 cup beans, 1/4 cup pico di gallo on top

Snacks- a serve of fruit, or some airpopped popcorn.

Dinner- pasta with marinara sauce, some steamed broccoli on the side

Dessert- frozen fruit sorbet

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If I want to drop a few I follow his plan closely, but in normal everyday life, I do include some of less-oily veggie meats, white bread/rice/pasta, and even chips sometimes. Overall its a nice way to eat!

·
Registered
290 Posts
i think the difficulties in the McDougall plans are that fats are restricted. I feel very deprived on 10% fat but fine with 25%, but there aren't as many therapeutic benefits at 25%.

it's usually easy to eat a lot of starch:

hash browns or oatmeal for breakfast

pita, rice, pasta, potato, noodles, sweet potato, or bread for lunch and dinner

vegetables are unlimited

legumes: unlimited, unless it's soy or peanuts, which are higher in fat

fruits: 2-3 a day if you have problems with elevated triglycerides. if not, no limit

nuts/seeds/overt fats like avocado and olive: very limited

oils: none

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been leaning towards this diet for a while and I'm going to start this summer, once I have the time. It's based heavily on eating starches (potatoes, rice, corn, squash, beans/legumes) and any whole grains (bread, pasta, etc.) with additions of fruits and vegetables. No oil is permitted. It's actually a good rule. It is empty calories and it's all fat. So if you're looking for weight loss, you'll benefit from no oil. Also, if you suffer from acne, eliminating oil (and soy) will clear your acne in all places (chest, back, arms, face, etc.). Tofu, tempeh, and seitan are permitted (occasionally) as well as milk substitutes, but he advices just water. Mock meats are not permitted if you're strictly following the diet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts