VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been trying to follow whether or not starbucks has agreed to use fair trade coffee. i find myself reading one thing in one place and a totally different outcome in another--anyone know what is going on with that??? or does anyone know of a chain that uses fair trade coffee?? thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm pretty sure Starbucks uses at least SOME coffee under the fair trade agreement. I'm not positive about the other chains. What city are you in?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks. i am just outside of chicago. the last thing i read stated that one day per week their coffee of the day was fair trade--wtf kind of policy is that? and what day? same day each week or random support of poor farmers? yeah sounds fair--pay me what i deserve on one day per week thank you very much!! it is all so confusing for me!!! also, the coffee of the day is not used in all drinks which further complicates the matter for me.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
You could brew your coffee at home. I buy organic fair trade coffee at the store and make it at home, adding organic vanilla soymilk and organic sugar.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah--i do brew coffee at home, but i love lattes and do not have an espresso machine. and ya know at times you just want someone else to make it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi ya

I have just finished a presentation at uni about Fair trade this morning, weird huh! and i was surprised to find in my research that starbucks actually do sell fair trade coffee but it is called CAFE DIRECT and some shop staff dont actually know about it, so you have to ask for cafe direct and they should stock it.if not ask why not.

They do have a one day a month FT day but this evry cup sold so anyone who buys a noraml coffee gets given the FT variety, which is great, to introduce the concept to newbies. and they also run a charity called coffee kids set up to fund schools and small hospitals in Uganda and india. its a start i guess but not as good as cutting out all unfair coffee ay.

I am living in london but i think you have Costa cafes there too.this chain is much more ethical. they are the number one supporters of FT currently .they stock south american african and indian varietys as welll as tea and chocolate . So If your like me and usually like to have a snack with your coffee id Find a costa instead of starbucks.

Its so daunting isnt it when you find out yet another area that you have to avoid, trying to find soy milk is hard enough and now FT as well. I have been going into cafes and asking really loudly for fair trade coffee despite knowing they dont sell it just to make the point. i dont want to be forced to become a hermit, If there is enough of us doing the same hopefully the staff will mention it to thir managers and they will start to stock it.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cass-i agree it is all sorts of crazy, but worth standing up for what you believe in. i am not familiar with costas, however i contacted another chain here called caribou coffee and they told me that starting in july their rainforest blend will be fair trade. i am unclear if that means only the coffee that you can buy in bags to grind and brew in your house is FT or that you can also request the rainforest blend if you are ordering a coffe in the cafe. i am waiting for a reply on that one.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Never heard of Costa. Do they have an international website, maybe? Possibly we could find some locations through that.

I've never been to a coffee joint here in L.A. that didn't have soymilk. Hurray for small favors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts