VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to Trader Joes today to try and stock my house with vegan goodies, and I couldn't figure out what to get? What are your staple items?

And what are the best brands of soy cheese?

Thanks!

♥ RiVeR

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Raw almond butter. Mmm.

I always have:

almond butter, tahini, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, bragg liquid aminos, a million spices, nutritional yeast, medjool dates, garlic, coconut oil, assorted nuts, water.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The best vegan cheese is, IMHO, Follow Your Heart brand (Vegan Gourmet). Don't expect it to replace cheese if you've just weaned yourself from it, though.

Fruit & veg (including canned/frozen fruit and veg, calcium-fortified orange juice, dried fruit, starchy veg like potatoes/yams, leafy greens, etc.)

Grains (brown rice, wholewheat couscous, pasta, quinoa, oatmeal, etc.)

Wholegrain breakfast cereals

Wholemeal breads, bagels, pitas, muffins, etc.

Nuts/seeds and nut butters

Dried/canned beans and lentils

Seasonings (tamari/Braggs, spices, garlic, oils, etc.)

Baking supplies (wholemeal flour, oil/margarine, dried fruit, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, sugar, etc.)

Nondairy milk and yogurt

etc? It's midnight, I'm off to bed, eheh.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
lots of fruit

a mega amount of leafy greens

sprouts

olive oil

ACV

dates

nuts

avocadoes - if they are ripe

garlic

jicama, when it's in season

cucumbers

carrots

peppers

herbs

garlic

coconut oil

mushrooms

corn

lemons

celery

i can't think of anything else right now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I second Jessica's Almond Butter recomendation!!

You will always find almond butter in my fridge. I really do not try to stock my fridge anymore besides some leafy greens in my salad spinner. I found myself throwing stuff away because I would overbuy.

You will always find tons of salt-free frozen veggies in my freezer and a bag of frozen blueberries and some frozen bananas for blueberry sorbet's.

I always stock tons of various nuts and seeds as well as dried fruits. Orange fleshed potatoes are always common as well as some oatmeal. I usually always have 1-2 avocados laying around as well, do not buy more than this, unless of course you have a long trip to the store.

Much more to follow from other members!

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
Vitamin Water

OJ

Soy Milk (Not an every week item)

Apples (most important to me)

Bananas

Seasonal Fruit (Peaches/Grapes/Oranges/Etc.)

Cucumber

Onions (Red/White/Yellow)

Mushrooms (White)

Tomatoes

Romaine Lettuce

Earth Balance Margarine

Peanut Butter (We usually keep 2 jars at a time!!)

Veganaise

Olive Oil

Garlic (Powder/Fresh Bulbs)

Rice (Brown/White)

Frozen Veggies (Mixed/Broccoli/Spinach)

Frozen Strawberries (For Smoothies)

Frozen Pineapple (For Smoothies)

Canned Veggies (Grean Beans/Corn/Tomatoes)

Dry Cereal/Oatmeal

Mixed Nuts/Dried Fruits

Whole Grain Breads/Pita

Canned Soups

Hummus (Not an every week item)

Boy, we are pretty boring and buy much of the same things every week. Apples, veggies and fruit for smoothies are every day meals.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
*Veggies (we always have carrot, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, tomato, squash, dark green leafy veg like spinach or other greens, onion, garlic.. the others I get what looks good while shopping)

*Fruit
(always have bananas, apples and/or applesauce, grapes and/or raisins, plums in season, strawberries in season.. I need to start stocking up on frozen berries...)

*Non-dairy milk
(soy, rice, almond)

*nuts
(walnuts, pecans, almonds, peanuts)

*nut butter of some kind (usually peanut butter, but want to try almond butter...)

*Baking supplies: whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, bread flour, vital wheat gluten, cornmeal, vegan sugar, vegan brown sugar, shortening, oils, vanilla extract, almond extract, vegan margerine/butter, baking soda, baking powder, spices, salt, Ener-g egg replacer, etc. (I could go on... avid baker)

*cereals (or stuff to make granola)~ especially hot cereals this time of year. Cream of Wheat, plain oatmeal that I dress up when I make it, cornmeal for cornmeal mush...

Pretty basic stuff at my house. Other than that, we always have pasta and sauce on hand, rice, beans, nutritional yeast... I stock up on some things, and it sucks when it all runs out at once, LOL.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gosh, we are a family of 5, I pack 3 lunches everyday so my staples are a plenty. These are just the basic, very basic that I need to be able to whip anything up with.

fridge:

milk

"butter"

nut butters

jelly, preserves

soy sauce

mustard & ketchup

vegenaise

salad dressings

deli "meats"

lots of fruits

lots of veggies

applesauce

freezer:

frozen waffles

mock meats

fries (for those quick dinners/lunches)

nice nuggets (aka "chicken" nuggets)

nutritional yeast

flax seeds

tons of bread (I always have at least 6 loaves in there)

frozen veggies

pantry:

all types of flour

oatmeals

cream of wheat (my kids love this, too)

lots of cereal

dry & canned cooked beans

crackers & triscuits

pastas

brown, white, jasmine, calrose rice

canned tomatoes

sugars

cinnamon crackers

animal crackers

granola bars

dried fruits

This is all I could think of off the top of my head. These are our "basics". I didn't included spices because I don't have time for that
Snacks are indeed staples in my house so that we can have the 3 kiddos snack when they come home before homework.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
pasta, random fruit and veg including salad ingredients, hummus, bread, pasta sauce, and coffee.

I don't always have all of that stuff on ahnd, but I definitely should.

And my favourite brand of "cheese" is cheezly. But I only buy the products labelled "extra melting".

·
Registered
617 Posts
here's mine: pasta, rice, bread, peanut butter, jelly, canned beans, canned mushrooms, marinara sauce, tomato sauce, tomato (fresh or canned), frozen green veggies, onions, carrots, soy milk, tofu, bananas, spices, flour, sugar, other baking supplies

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hrm, I am a serious 'pantry/fridge stocker'
I don't feel complete unless I can lay my hands on something and whip up a fantastic, vegan meal! I *HATE* having to dash out for an extra ingredient, grr.

PANTRY

- Canned tomatoes/beans

- Pasta/rice/gnocchi

- Abundence of spices, sauces and condiments

- Cereals

- Long life soy milk

- Baked beans

- TVP

- Flours, sugars etc

- Organic bread

- Nuts and seeds

FRIDGE

- I order a box of fresh organic veges every week which include - zucchini, borcolli, carrots, lettuce, capsicum, squash, cauliflower, bok choy...

- Fruit, fruit and more fruit! Particularly apples, dates, pears, oranges, nectarines and grapes, mmm.

- A jar of garlic and ginger

- Nuttlex, tofutti cream cheese, hommus

- Cold water (!!!)

FREEZER

- I cook ALOT more than I need to each evening, and freeze it into little containers. I either take these to work, or we use them as 'emergency foods'.

- Frozen berries, frozen vegetables

- Soy-cream

I love cooking, and I love my pantry and fridge. I love nothing more than a healthy' looking kitchen, ROFL!

-Jess

·
Registered
108 Posts
Salad

Carrots

Cucumbers

Onions

Garlic

Spices

Whole Grain Bread

Soymilk

Oranges

Frozen Bananas

Protein Powder

Wheat Germ

Soy Sauce

Ketchup

Peanut Butter

Canned Beans

Dry Lentils

Canned Vegetables

Frozen Vegetables

Vegetarian Bullion Cubes

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a family of 5 and we keep just about all of the above in our house. The one thing I didn't see was pesto concentrate? Have you seen that ever? It looks like a tube of toothpaste and has no cheese in it. I add it to Veganaisse to make a dip, spread it on grilled cheeze sandwhiches before grilling, or drop dabs across pizza.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I live with 6 other students, so currently my part of the fridge contains: red pepper hummus, half a can of sweetcorn, leftover pasta, a carrot. and thats it being full! (meant to have 2 fridges but one of them is broke and freezes things instead o_O) i tend to live off cupboardy/frozen things, or only buy/make fridgey stuff enough for one meal, woo! oh, and my boyfriends cheese is in there. i dont touch it though i made sure it was vegetarian, hehe.

theyre all omnis (er, carnivores more like) - great weight loss strategy. nothing stops appetite like opening your fridge to find a nice piece of "Thick Back Bacon" next to your hummus.

is it reaalllly neccesary to keep ketchup in the fridge? i never do. mines been in my cupboard since september open and hasnt killed me yet! its mouldy and i should bin it isnt it, please dont say that =(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.