1,280 Posts
disguised as a lepechaun

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I was going to veganise this Jamie Oliver recipe http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/b...eef-ale-stew-1 and make some dumplings or soda bread to go with it.

What are you doing Sally?
Mmmm... dumplings..

I'm going to whip up something with cabbage and potatoes (not exactly sure just yet) and soda bread. My daughter has requested a key lime pie. Not exactly Irish, but at least it's green, and of course I have to watch "The Quiet Man". Love that movie.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
If Darby O'Gill and the Little People airs on TV, I might watch that. I've never seen it.

Other than that, St. Pat's Day doesn't really mean much to me, although I might sing a few bars of Molly Malone if I'm feeling a little giddy that day

·
Registered
94 Posts
St patricks day is me and my husband wedding anniversary we will be married 5 years unsure what we are doing that day because we dont know if we will have money then but we might go out for a meal or maybe spend all day in bed

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Cooking? Nothing! Haha.

My friends & I will be going to our local, which is owned by an Irish family.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I plan on celebrating in the usual fashion. I can't tell you exactly what that entails, because I can never quite remember. I'm pretty sure it ends with a citation for public urination, though.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I'm going to make colcannon and Irish soda bread.
I'll probably make some sort of a meat-like loaf to go with or else maybe some "sausages".

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
Here we have one of the largest parades in the US and people travel here to see it. It is a pathetic alcohol poisoning festival with green glitter and no culture.

I once went to a bar after the parade and bagpipers came in to play for everyone for free. No one paid attention to them at all, except me. One of them thanked me for being the only polite/appreciative person.

People don't even watch the parade or do anything cultural. It's just a drink fest. Public urination and vomiting are the norm. Awful.

Anyhoo...what am I doing...TBA. I don't like Irish food so I won't be cooking any of that, but Vegetarian Times did a piece on it that some may like. It had an easy lunch of brown bread, blue cheese (IIRC), dark beer, pickles and sliced apple.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XWillowX View Post

St patricks day is me and my husband wedding anniversary we will be married 5 years unsure what we are doing that day because we dont know if we will have money then but we might go out for a meal or maybe spend all day in bed
Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I'm going to make colcannon
Yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

It is a pathetic alcohol poisoning festival with green glitter and no culture.
It sounds like fun to me.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

It is a pathetic alcohol poisoning festival with green glitter and no culture.

People don't even watch the parade or do anything cultural. It's just a drink fest. Public urination and vomiting are the norm. Awful.
Same here. I actually despise St Paddy's Day because of this. Roads are shut down, traffic is rerouted all over the place , and the streets are crammed with people. They start drinking super early in the morning and continue all day/night. It's the one day a year where cops don't give a damn people drinking on the streets, in public places , and being loud and obnoxious. The cops are right there along with them for "crowd control" but in reality they do anything but control the out of hand crowds. There are ALWAYS numerous violent fights and drunk people getting way out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I think I will be participating in a puppy parade to raise awareness about puppy mills.
OMG puppy parade! That sounds like so much fun.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
A friend of the bf is having people over. I am looking to bring cupcakes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts