VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
coupla questions:

how long to press it for to drain it all ? I've been pressing it usually about 10 minutes.. sometimes I'll just let it sit for a hour with just occasionally turning the pieces over, and changing the paper towels once they become too soggy.

which leads me to my next question,

Is there anything else to use besides paper towels to press it? I usually go through a few paper towels while pressing, and it just seems like a bit of a waste. Do regular dish towels work as well (absorbancy and such)?

thanks so much

-&

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
i use a towel for draining. i also put something heavy on it while it is draining.

i also will drain, freeze, thaw and drain again. this gives the tofu a great texture. but any liquid you add to it for cooking will be absorbed, so you have to be careful to not make it mushy again. i avoid this by making sure the pan and oil are very hot before adding the tofu.

although i just got a new tofu at my HFS that is probably shipped frozen because it is completely drained when i buy it.

good luck!

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
I use tea towels or flour sack towels - really thin non-fuzzy towels. Fold one up 4 or 5 times, put it on a plate, then put the tofu on the towel. Then I put another tea towel on top of the tofu, another plate on top of that, then a book on the plate. (in other words: plate, towel, tofu, towel, plate, book.)

Give it an hour or so, and it seems to work pretty well.

But IMO it's easier to buy Nigari tofu which is REALLY firm and quite tasty. It doesn't require pressing.

amy

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Be aware that freezing tofu changes the texture significantly (it comes out kind of like a spongy texture). I personally don't like the texture of previously frozen tofu, but many people do.

I have a perforated pizza pan that I use when pressing tofu. I put the pan over a large bowl - put the tofu on it - then a couple of plates on top. I turn the tofu a couple of times during the process. I usually press for an hour.

If you don't care about keeping the shape - you can put tofu in cheesecloth and squeeze the moisture from it (and this method works really good - but you end up with mashed up tofu is all)

·
Registered
326 Posts
lucycat~

It depends on the texture you're going for, but I don't really worry about pressing my tofu when I'm cooking it with a bit of oil in the frying pan. Doesn't seem to make a really big difference for the simple pan fry method. On the other hand, when I want to make specific recipes that require a firmer/dry tofu, I will go to the trouble of pressing.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I agree with the non-fuzzy dish towel. (Like a flour sack towel,) It works much better than paper towel IMHO.

Here's what I do....

I wrap the block of Tofu in a dish towel, put on a plate

Place somethinng heavy on top ( canned tomatoes, work swell!)

Place in refridgerator for 30 minutes to an hour

The cold air in the fridge drys the tofu out more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.