VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, In earlier posts I've mentioned I like to only eat whole grains. So, my boyfriend and I have been totally unable to find vegan whole-wheat hotdog buns, even at wholefoods or chamberlins. We did find some sprouted wheat buns, with whole wheat flour as the 2nd ingredient (after sprouted wheat.) Is sprouted wheat considered whole grain? Also, I'm still learning what is whole grain and what isn't, especially since I'm new to veganism (but not vegetarianism.) Any tips, ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated!<br><br><br><br>
P.S. - I take it stone ground cornmeal would be considered a whole "grain"? Just corn, right? I just want to make sure there aren't any additives.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i believe sprouted wheat is considered whole.. its just the whole grain, but sprouted i .. think. i know its easier to digest, and some consider it more healthful. check to see if the brand has a website, and you can look there, too.<br><br><br><br>
sorry to not be more helpful...!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Of course it is! It's the whole grain sprouted. If it wasn't whole (if it was processed in some way) it wouldn't sprout.<br><br><br><br>
In fact, the nutritional value of grains (and legumes and other seeds) increases when they are sprouted first!!<br><br><br><br>
Cornmeal should be whole too.<br><br><br><br>
BTW whole has little to do with additives, but how much the grain/flour is processed. White flour is not whole, because the germ and the bran of the grain is removed, leaving only the endosperm, which is pure starch (and white). I.e. it has little micronutrients (vitamins, etc), no fiber, and has a high glycemic index.<br><br><br><br>
Many flours have additives. They are then called "enriched flours". Usually riboflavin and some other stuff. This has historical reasons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts