VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I can post this here. I get lots of messages like this through myspace and I wonder if we can post these here.

-------

**I am crossposting this so PLEASE use the following contact info. Do not reply to me because I do not know this dog or the person trying to help her. I just want to help spread the word. Thanks! ~Danielle, Don't Shop, Adopt!**

Please call the Salinas Animal Shelter if you can help Sprinkles. 831-758-7285 ext 0 and ask about animal #36545.

PLEASE HELP ME FIND A HOME FOR SPRINKLES!!!!! She is an exceptionally sweet, tolerate, gentle pit bull girl who was used to produce litter after litter and then abandoned to the streets of Salinas. She has been at the Salinas Animal Shelter for over a month and has been on the euthanasia several times, but is a staff favorite and so they've been able to give her a reprieve a couple of times. The shelter supervisor says that Friday HAS to be her last day. The shelter staff said they pay to have her spayed and vaccinated. If I could find a foster or permanent home, I would do all I could to help transport her.

The Shelter wrote:

Sprinkles is a 2yr old Pit Bull, about 60 lbs. Sprinkles loves being with people more than anything else is this world! She loves to hang out in the yard, and after she gets a good run, she likes to sit in the chairs we have set out for people. We are able to pull and tug on her ears, tail and other parts of her body without any signs of aggression. She will sit on command and while she doesn't seem to have any other training, she is very responsive to verbal commands. She loves to sit on your lap if you will let her, and she loves to give gentle kisses. She came into the shelter as a stray on December 22nd and it was obvious that her only role to her old owner was to produce puppies. She is extremely well-mannered and not barky in her kennel. Sprinkles would probably do best as the only dog in the household, as we are unsure about her socialization with other animals. Sprinkles is a very special girl that has touched the hearts of everyone here at the shelter. She deserves to find her forever home, but is scheduled to be put down on Friday February 2.

Please call the Salinas Animal Shelter at 831-758-7285 ext 0 and ask about animal #36545.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Sadly in the realworld animal stories don't always have happy ending such as a miracle good home being found.

You always hope that fairy tail ending will happen when you read/ hear about a story like this

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Sigh...it's always the pitbulls. I get a lot of email forwards about dogs in need of a home, and its always pit after pit. Why are so many thrown away?

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Sigh...it's always the pitbulls. I get a lot of email forwards about dogs in need of a home, and its always pit after pit. Why are so many thrown away?
They have such a bad rep. You get one or two stories in the media about pits biting people or mauling a child, and next thing you know you have breed bans.

Labrador retrievers bite people, too.

Pits are also used in illegal dog fighting, which keeps humane workers and police all over the country busy busting dog fighting rings. Unfortunately, that means that female pits used for breeding - and their puppies - end up in shelters (the fighters are euthanized because they can't be adopted out), and because they're pits, the shelters have a hard time adopting them out, even though they may be affectionate and nonaggressive.

Like whatsername said "There are no bad dogs. Only bad owners."

I was watching a TV program a couple weeks ago about the history of the Berlin Wall. For a while East Germany used armed guards with German Shepherds (Alsatians) at the wall to keep people from escaping over the wall. The dogs naturally had a reputation for being mean and aggressive. After the wall came down, the dogs were rehomed, many to families, and it turned out that they were really affectionate and loving, and definitely not aggressive in the least!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I wonder why so many are bred in the first place. One of the basic rules of being a breeder is to check your demand before you decide to breed.

The basic concept of supply and demand. If there's no demand, you don't breed, simple as that.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
You can call the shelter (contact info in OP) and see what happened.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
OK. I just thought she might have come across something else.

I'll contact the shelter (although I may not want to know the answer).

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know someone who rescues daily from a death row pound here in the UK, she and others travel hundreds of miles each day to get dogs out from 'bursting at the seams' pounds who have no option but to kill dogs if these folks didnt go.

Its a nightmare trying to find safe places for them each day and the rescuers have to play god each day as there is so many it is impossible to save them all.

My oldie that has just died was one that was abandaned at the old age of approx, 12 and if I hadnt had her on her last day she wouldnt have had 15 months of love.

I have a bumper sticker that says ' Dont breed or buy, when homeless cats and dogs die'.

It angers me when I hear of folks buying a puppy for well over £500!!!!.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts