VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to see who on the vbs drink sports drinks such as Gatorade and Powerade, etc. Do you drink them religiously when doing heavy work outs or participating in sports, or do you think of them as useless salty water? If you don't like them, do you stick with water or go with another type of drink?<br><br><br><br>
Tell me what you think!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Gatorade cut half and half with water for activities longer than an hour and plain water for activities shorter than an hour, in general.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Nope to both, loaded in sugar and crap dyes etc.<br><br>
I drink water which is the best way to get your body rehydrated the only thing sports drinks are good for are electrolytes which unless you are really working out hard and had a improper diet your not likley to need.<br><br>
Exception of course is being in a marathon or something that is going to be taxing the body for a couple hours.<br><br>
It does supply carbs for the body but most of those come in th form of sugar which is not a great option.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
most sports are played over several hours, not just marathons<br><br><br><br>
that is why they are called "sports drinks" not "workout drinks"

·
Registered
878 Posts
I only drink water... even after my long runs. Personally i would rather have chocolate soy milk as a 'recovery' drink. Gatorades are not really needed unless you play intense sports imo. I've seen too many overweight people who drink it in the middle of a school day and do absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
To the best of my knowledge all popular, mainstrem sports drinks are vegan (natural flavors not withstanding). I never drink them except while running marathons during which I usually split my fluid intake in half between regular water and a sports drink.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use sports drinks when I'm running or cycling over 2 hours or so, or when it's really hot outside. I also use them when racing. It's really important not to deplete your electrolytes during longer sessions so that your performance doesn't suffer and so you recover faster. Sports drinks are also an easy way to get calories in to keep you fueled when training and racing.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
My husband drinks gatorade when he's hung over. I don't like the taste of any sports drink I've tried, so I don't drink them. If I really feel like I need the electrolytes, I'll drink dilute orange juice + a small pinch of salt.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My husband drinks Gatorade when he has leg cramps from his medications, but he only has a few sips at the most. I don't drink them-too much sugar, and I didn't notice any difference when I did use Propel or Gatorade.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I drink them mixed 50/50 with water when I'm out rock climbing for the day. I also sometimes drink them when I'm sick. I'll heat up Gatorade and drink it hot when I have a sore throat.<br><br><br><br>
I'd like to make my own and even found a place that makes natural flavor powders, but unfortunately they only sell them to food manufacturers.

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
When I work out I just stick to water, but occassionally I'm bad and do things to my body that cause me to excrete electrolytes in my urine, so the next day I usually have a gatorade or similar brand.

·
Registered
685 Posts
If I'm cycling over 50 miles in a day, I alternate Gatorade Endurox version (extra electrolytes) with water. I'm a salty sweater! Anything shorter, I go with plain water.<br><br><br><br>
I also drink Gatorade when I've got an upset stomach and can't deal with solid food. (Which is the only time I miss meat foods -- I haven't found a good replacement for chicken soup and jello.)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I stick with plain water, because Gatorade and other sports drinks are loaded with sugar, so they are as bad for you as soda. Plus, there's artificial food colorings, blech. Just make sure to get enough potassium and salts in you food after a good, hard workout, like eating a banana or something.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts