VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently heard about this new "superfood" spirulina as a good source of protein. Does anybody take this? If so, what do you think about it? Any initial reactions or knowledge about the product itself?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The only thing I know about it is that it's often touted as a good source of B12 when in fact it contains what seems to be an inactive form of the stuff, which makes it unsuitable as a B12 supplement. Furthermore, taking in inactive B12 can interfere with absorption of the good, active kind. Might be a good idea for people who aren't too careful about their B12 intakes, and maybe for all people, to monitor their consumption of spirulina for this reason. I don't know much about the benefits - someone else might be able to supply more info there - but apparently there's quite a list of these, too, so for that reason people might not want to boot it out their diets completely, but just make sure not to overdo it.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
The highest protein food in the world

·
Registered
95 Posts
I do not currently consider myself a raw foodist. But I LOVE spirulina! I just mix it with water and drink it that way. After I started drinking it, my tastes changed. My water with spirulina tastes fragrant and it is very refreshing. Plain water is tasteless now. You have to consume large amounts for it to be an adequate protein replacement, and I'm not certain about its viability as a b12 supplement BUT it is full of vitamins and minerals. I highly recommend it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts