VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know of a good website for identifying spiders? One that has plenty of pictures, not just text.

Whenever I try a search, I just come up with info and black widows and brown recluses.

I keep finding these big spiders in my house, but they are neither of those. I've been catching them and releasing them outside. I just want to be sure that they aren't poisonous.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
try this

http://140.211.62.101/catalog/

you enter in the info about the spider you're trying to identify and it's supposed to tell you what kind it is

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LadyFaile,

Thanks for that link. I looked at all the pictures, but none looked exactly like what I've been catching. The wolf spider (as oneness - the wise suggested) is the closest. Maybe that's what they are. Next time I catch one, I'll have to count its eyes and everything to be sure.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
it doesn't really look like a wolf spider to me, but it's hard to tell it's colourings and stuff from the pic. hmm.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I agree with LF based on the varieties of Wolf I'm familiar with. Here in KC, they are large (thick), sometimes even quite hairy.

There are however, 100's of types of wolf spiders, so nevertheless it may be a type I'm unfamiliar with.

Really as long as it is not brown recluse...BE HAPPY....

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i'm convinced the ones that invade my mom's house every summer are brown recluse or close relatives. sometimes the front of the buildings are black with spiders, they're getting as bad as the damn shad flies.

*shudders*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts