VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at an awards ceremony a couple of weeks ago at a restaurant. I was happy to find a few vegetarian options for me to choose from. Well, anyways, afterwards I met a lady whose daughter is in charge of her church's candy which they sell for fundraisers. She told her daughter that she should not keep the candy sitting in the basement for too long because spiders will come out of them. Is it really true that the goverment allows spider parts to be put in chocolate bars and that most of the time their eggs are placed inside of them? So if I let my chocolate bar sit out for a month or something I could find a spider inside? *cringes at the thought of what I could have eaten*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
This sounds like a classic urban legend! Here's one regarding candy and spider parts, from Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/bubblyum.htm

Although it doesn't mention chocolate, I would bet that this is how the "spider eggs in chocolate" story originated.

Besides that, there's a logic problem with your friend's story: *IF*, as she says, spider eggs were already in the chocolate because the government supposedly allows it... why should being in the basement matter? Wouldn't they hatch sitting in your pantry? On the shelf in the store? Why would they wait to hatch until they're in the basement?

I think it's just one of those classic "gross out" stories. Perhaps it got started when somebody noticed bloom on their chocolate bar.

What is bloom? you ask. (http://www.foodreference.com/html/fchocolatebloom.html)

Bloom is a harmless change in chocolate that occurs when the chocolate is stored at a warm temperature, or when storage temperatures fluctuate. The fats rise to the surface of the chocolate bar and gather, causing a white or grey appearance on the surface. Though it may look as though the chocolate is somehow spoiled, it's fine. (This happens with chocolate chips, too, by the way.)

There's a second type of bloom, caused by sugars dissolving in the chocolate. This type of bloom looks gritty. Perhaps to somebody who doesn't know what it is, and has an overactive imagination, it could look as though the bar has been infested, perhaps with "spider eggs"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,819 Posts
Just so you know, most chocolate that you buy in stores is up to a year old (that's considered fresh), Halloween candy is made in early summer, Christmas in mid/late summer. Although some are made even earlier (spring for fall-winter). So if a month made a difference, the candy factories would be infested with spiders, and all you'd have were hollowed out candies.

Now spiders may be on the candy wrappers, but they would've come from the basement itself, unless a spider jumped into the box as a machine/human packaged it, wasn't noticed, and was squashed by the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,440 Posts
I would say that the eggs are destroyed in the process.

You'll be suprised what is "allowed" in food.

I.e. a number of fly's in ketchup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
" the candy factories would be infested with spiders, and all you'd have were hollowed out candies."

\\----------------------

Dang! So that explains those danged hollow easter bunnies I got as a kid


hehehhe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
But.

Once I had a strict vegan b/f. He went to the USA for a few months and brought me back a box of lovely Vegan chocolates, made on something I forget vegan farm.

We sat on the sofa and I munched and munched at the chocolate. Then I looked down into the box and it was crawling with little white worms.

"Argh - I'm not vegan now I've eaten all those maggots" I shrieked.

Poor b/f was mortified.

I suspect he picked them up in his travels rather than being a fault of the manufacturer.

I am still addicted to chocolate, but I always look at what I'm eating nowadays...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,777 Posts
ew. maggots.

my roommate bought some vegan "energy squares" from the bulk bin. I decided to have one, the last one in the bag. I bit into it and it seemed like there were little hairs dangling from it. so I looked, and it looked kind of spider-webby. I dropped it on teh counter and a maggot fell off it!! I screamed and spit it out and washed my mouth out in the sink for about 5 minutes. Heebie jeebies. Needless to say I haven't bought any since then. Nor has my roomie.

But the funny thing is, we get so freaked out about eating bugs, yet many of us are ex-omnis and didn't think twice about eating the muscle tissue of huge animals... weird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oregon Amy, that sounds like an extremely gross experience. My mind is slightly scatterbrained today, but that reminds me of two programs I saw on the Food Network featuring Mexico both people ate bugs.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top