VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking I need to spice up my spice rack, (haha...get it?) especially after eating polenta. Any suggestions? (in general)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I always just go buy the spices I need when I find a recipe that I want to try... but IMO basics include:

Cumin
Cinnamon
Parsley
Bay Leaves
Good Italian Blend
Curry (I like spicy)
Basil
Nutmeg
Rosemary

There's more but my spice cabinet is at home right now, lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
If you can get to a Whole Foods or other store where spices are sold in bulk do it! They'll say like $20.00 a pound, but you can get as little as you want in small ziplock bags to try for just cents! I continue to buy all my spices there because they seem very fresh, theres a very wide variety, in alphabetical order so things are easy to find, and I can try different spices in one time use amounts.

If you like seafood type flavors, Old Bay is great!
In the summer plan on an herb garden. Fresh basil makes great pesto, and a plant will grow all summer.

Discount stores often have awesome buys. i got a big container of whole nutmegs for about $2.00. Much better than ground.
Whole spices really are worth the trouble for the most part, esp. if you like Indian foods.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would suggest you look up either your 10 favorite recipes or 10 new recipes you want to make. Then make a list of the spices that are used in the recipes and buy those.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenish View Post

I would suggest you look up either your 10 favorite recipes or 10 new recipes you want to make. Then make a list of the spices that are used in the recipes and buy those.
I second that. Don't buy it unless you need it. Spices have a shelf life and lose their potency with time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much everyone!! I have a few of these on my shelf already, so that makes me feel good!

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
I'd suggest not buying most spice blends, but sticking to individual spices and then mixing up small quantities as needed. Especially curry powder. Most commercial blends are atrocious. In general a good plan is to buy spices whole and then grind them as needed (a coffee grinder works well and they're pretty cheap). Some spices are prepped differently (nutmeg is grated with a nutmeg grater for example [a file can sub for the special nutmeg tool]), but a coffee grinder works with quite a few.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Smoked paprika, corriander, allspice, cloves, mustard seed, fennel seed, ancho chilli powder, cumin, cayanne pepper, zahtar, sesame seeds, juniper berries, 5spice powder, tumeric, saffron and cajun seasoning (though I like to make my own which is smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and cayanne pepper I add the salt and pepper as needed don't like it in spice mixtures)

Prob forgetting something but that is a good place to start

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Black mustard seeds
Cumin seeds
Turmeric
Hing/asafoetida
Chilli powder
Coriander powder
Mango powder
Coconut powder
Garam masala

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Am I the only one who loves oregano?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Am I the only one who loves oregano?
Well no, I keep my oregano in the herb garden rather than the cupboard so I forgot about adding it to the list.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baiba View Post

the project is very interesting , its called Kitchen For Vegeterian, join us!
First, you learn to spell vegetarian, then we'll talk.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.