VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with spelt? All I can figure out is that it's better than wheat. I guess.

Is it true that spelt contains all essential amino acids? I read this today, but was/am under the impression that soy is the only single vegetable source of complete amino acids.

Also, I've only seen spelt bread. What else do they make with it? spaghetti? cereal? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I think I need to do more research.

rigmarole

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
also cookies, cakes.. yum.

i think the main reason why people choose spelt over wheat is that it's gluten-free. lots of people are allergic to wheat, too.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I am not sure, but I have never heard that soy is the *only* complete plant source for essential amino acids. As far as I know, brazil nuts are pretty complete too, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the site, chook
always interesting to read about new grains.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnna

I am not sure, but I have never heard that soy is the *only* complete plant source for essential amino acids. As far as I know, brazil nuts are pretty complete too, correct me if I'm wrong.
our bodies when given proper nutrition can produce all amino acids (protein is a string of amino acids) necessary to function properly except for I think 8 specific ones. Aside from one web page which said that spelt is a complete protein, all info I've ever read on soy led me to think soy is the only complete protein from a veg source. Which isn't to say that you can't get all essential amino acids collectively elsewhere, but you get the point.

Brazil nuts are awesome.

Variety and moderation are key.

rigmarole

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
This is what I kinow about spelt: It's related to wheat, but it's easier to digest and higher in protein. I think some people who are allergic to wheat can eat it, but I'm not sure if that's true for everyone. I think it tastes just like whole wheat, so I use it for anything I would use whole wheat for. I started using it because I have a touchy digestive tract and because I like that it's more nutritious.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just the other day I bought my first loaf a spelt bread!

I've seen spelt products on the shelves and never really tried them before. It was great!

I was shopping for something different since my husband has begun an allergy to wheat, and almost everything we have in the house is wheat!

thanks for the spelt.com link, I always like to read and learn more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts