VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much heart-ache and searching, we finally decided to have our cat spayed. The decision came down to many things and ultimately was tipped when we found out the rates of females cats falling preg even when they are not on heat. We don't want to keep her inside all the time and we don't want more kittens wondering around this earth.

You know I feel really selfish and after we brought Waffle home from the vet I found it difficult to be around her for about 24 hours. I guess to see her in her pain was like admitting to myself that even if animals have rights, I was taking her most basic rights away from her. I guess that is a really hard thing to do (admitting it) when your a vegan for ethical/health/environmental reasons, plus you love the cat to bits and pieces.

Anyway. That was this past Thursday. And in about an hour I am heading off to the vet again because Waffle seems to be having a complication after the surgery. It could be that the internal stitches have caused the muscle layers to heal funny causing this lump just below the incision, or it could be a hernia.

I feel like sh*t right now!!!

Waffle already had one operation because it was easier for me to get her spayed then go to lengths to build her an outside area to play in or live somewhere where we would be able to build one to begin with and now she has to go back to the vet and she might have a hernia.

Has anyone else ever heard of hernias after spaying/desexing?

I feel so guilty!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I haven't heard of hernias after spaying. What did your vet say happened?

You shouldn't feel bad for spaying your cat. If she had gotten pregnant that would mean you'd have to find homes for 8 new cats, which could mean the death for 8 shelter cats waiting for homes. You're saving lives and I'm proud of your making that decision.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I'm about to leave for the vet so I will know soon what is happening to Waffle. Thanks for being proud of me, but I am sure Waffle isn't. I just feel bad. She doesn't have any rights, just the ones I say she can have.

If that is not ownership, I don't know what is...

:/

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Waffle does not have a hernia. The internal stitches have caused her muscle layers to mend in a way that it has created a lump of muscle directly below the external stitches. Apparently it is nothing to worry about.

Yes I think I saved the lives of kittens, in doing so dictating which "rights" I think Waffle should have. Is the means better then the ends? I guess I have to say yes. I still feel like crap. We do what we feel we have to do.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I'm glad to hear Waffle is going to do alright.

When it comes to animals, I always try to think about the bigger picture, so yes I would say the ends justify the means. And since spaying and neutering companion animals generally benefits the animals themselves, it seems like a win/win situation to me. You've greatly reduced Waffle's risk of ovarian cancer, mammary tumors, and uterine infections. Males benefit even more than females from being altered but that's a different thread.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Cheeno, everything kpickell has said is right. You did what is best for Waffle, as well as not giving a death sentence to the shelter cats that would have been displaced if Waffle had become pregnant. I will ALWAYS spay and neuter all cats and dogs that live with me. That being said, I understand what you're going through--I cried all the way home when I took my Kate (the last cat to be spayed) in to have her surgery.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I agree 100% with kpickell. You definitely made the right decision to spay your girl...please don't feel bad. And I'm glad it turned out to not be a hernia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts