VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What do you mean by Spanish-America? I'm a bit confused. Spanish means from Spain, but i think what you mean is Latino. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I wonder if this is some New York thing. I've spent a lot of time in Mexican-American and multi-flavored Latin-American communities, and I've never heard someone Latin-American describe themselves as "Spanish". There are "Latino" markets (Spanish food is actually quite different) and with restaurants, the name of the actual country is used, e.g. "Mexican Restaurant", "Peruvian Restaurant", etc.

That's interesting too about the samples/displays. I've seen that all over. It's the best reason to go shopping on Saturday morning..free samples.

Long Island must be a special place.
Yeah, same here. I've never heard anyone Latin American call themselves Spanish. I don't think it's a NY thing. More than anything it's ignorance. I just remembered that my sister-in-law uses "Spanish" a lot when referring to something/someone latin. That always confuses me so i have to ask her to clarify what she means by "Spanish". It's always either a specific latin nationality or just a latino/a in general. She's from Texas, so it's definately not a NY thing. Some people just don't know the difference between Spanish and Latino.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts