VeggieBoards banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

We have two markets here with the words "Spanish Mercado" right across the front. (Which seems a weird title to me)

They sell (what I would call) Hispanic items, are run by people who appear to be of some Latino descent (though I haven't ever asked) and most everything is labeled in Spanish.

I have no idea what the local Hispanic-Puerto Rican-Cuban-etc population at large refers to themselves as...

Doesn't prove anything, just adding an observation.
It is rather odd that they'd mix Spanish and English in the title like that. I'd think that they'd call it either "Spanish Market" or "Mercado Español" but not a mix like that.

I work with Mexicans, El Salvadoranians, Guatemalans, a Panamanian, and a Costa Rican and they all refer to themselves as "Latino."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

The two words allow a useful distinction to be made between actually being "Spanish" (i.e. relating to Spain) and the more general case of simply relating to spanish-speaking culture.

Quote:

I believe it's short for latinoamericano.

Quote:

I've also never heard anyone of Latin American descent refer to themself as "Spanish."
Nor have I. Ever. In my studies for my B.A. in Spanish, I never heard of anything or anyone that wasn't specifically from Spain referred to as "Spanish", other than the language itself.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts