VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a recipe that will make more of a smooth, custard-style pumpkin pie similar to that made with evaporated milk. I want to make a baked pie rather than a refrigerated one. Do you think soymilk or tofu does that better?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've made a tofu pumpkin pie that turned out almost identicle to non-vegan ones that use evaporated milk. It was a baked one and was really good. I havn't ever seen a vegan pumpkin pie recipe that doesn't call for tofu though, so I don't know how using soymilk would turn out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i have made both with success. i made the non-tofu version for thanksgiving this year, and every non-vegan said it tasted just like "real" pumpkin pie. i've also used tofu, and i tried an experiement without it - and it worked! i'll probably 'never go back'.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Karen,

This is my own recipe.

[pumpkin pie]

2 c. fresh or canned pumpkin, pureed (NOT pie filling)

2/3 c. Sucanat

1/2 c. unsweetened soymilk

1 c. water

6 tbsp. cornstarch

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 tsp. cloves

1/2 tsp. salt

crust:

1/4 c. teff flour

3/4 c. Mesa Sunrise cereal, crunched

3 tbsp. vegetable oil

2 tbsp. soymilk

2 tbsp. Sucanat

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. xantham gum

mix crust ingredients together, and press into lightly oiled pie plate. Bake at 350F for

10 minutes. remove and let cool.

meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine pumpkin, Sucanat and spices. Add water and milk, and bring to a boil,

then add cornstarch. Boil again, then simmer until thickened.

once cooled, add into crust, and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

*note: i made the crust and filling the night before, so i did not have to wait until

they were cooled.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I made a pumpkin pie last week. The "old" recipe from the Libby's can did call for actual milk, which is the recipe my mom still uses. I subbed with soymilk and it came out great! I use the canned pumpkin and put in my own spices--not the pie filling mix.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Country dreamer, I am sure that you could use your version of whatever you use for sugar (sugar, Sucanat, honey (if you aren't vegan), real maple syrup, agave...)

you're all welcome. it turned out really well! i had never made a pumpkin pie of any sort before, so it was nice. it was pretty, too!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAmy View Post

I made a pumpkin pie last week. The "old" recipe from the Libby's can did call for actual milk, which is the recipe my mom still uses. I subbed with soymilk and it came out great! I use the canned pumpkin and put in my own spices--not the pie filling mix.
That is exactly what I was hoping to do with my pumpkin pie recipe. I just wanted to be somewhat assured it wasn't going to turn out funky like some things can when you substitute alternative ingredients.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I just made one, using evaporated soymilk (which I got the recipe for in VB) and ener g egg replacer. It turned out great, very custardy. I'll probably make another one soon, since I have another can and loads of pie crust dough in my freezer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.