VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone got a good one? I just made some from a recipe I found, and my 4 year old doesnt like them, they are meant to be for her birthday party at kindy in a few weeks time...

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Try this link: http://www.vegancupcakerecipes.com/r...ake-recipe.php
You can find many easy, kid friendly recipes ( meaning not "raspberry, espresso chip, apricot glazed!)
You can subsitute any kind of milk for soy--unless it calls for adding vinegar to it to sour, like in biscuits. That only works with soy, but for other baking almond, rice or coconut is fine. If it calls for chocolate, I highly recommend Silk dark chocolate Almond!
I'm curious what kind of recipe you used?
If you can get a copy of Vegan Cupcakes take over the World, everyone loves that! They're fancy though.

She was on Cupcake Wars! (not Chloe-her cupcakes are more "grown-up" I think-raspberry chocolate kind)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank, will check out the link. She ended up having another try and liked the ones I made, and my other kids loved them, I found them a tad oily though, so will experiment.

Here is the recipe I used

Quote:
Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 24
\t3C all purpose flour
\t1/2C cocoa powder
\t2tsp baking soda
\t1tsp salt
\t1C sugar
\t1C packed brown sugar
\t2C water
\t1C canola oil
\t1Tbs vanilla extract
\t3/4-1C vegan choc chips (optional - I did not use these)

Preheat oven to 180C. Spray 24 muffin cups/cupcake liners with non stick spray.
Sift the flour, cocoa, soda, and salt into a large bowl. Add sugar and brown sugar, water, oil, vanilla. Mix with electric beater until well combined and smooth.
Divide batter evenly between the 24 muffin cups (about 1/4C each). Sprinkle the top of each cupcake with some chocolate chips (opt).
Bake 25-30 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting with Chocolate Vegan Buttercream.

To make a cake: divided the batter between 2 9-inch round cake pans that have been sprayed with non stick spray. sprinkle each layer with half the chocolate chips (opt). Bake at 180C for 40 minutes. Let cake cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Vegan Buttercream
(makes perfect amount for 24 cupcakes or the cake option)
\t3C icing sugar
\t1/2C cocoa powder
\t1/2C marg
\t3 1/2 -4 Tbs rice milk (I used oat milk, you can use any kind of rice/nut/oat/soy milk)
\t1 1/2tsp vanilla extract

Sift together icing sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add margarine, milk and vanilla and beat well with an electric mixer until frosting is smooth.

They are SO moist and yummy, even better than any non-vegan cup cakes I've ever made or eaten!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made a cinnamon bread the other day from a vegan baking book, and it said to use the vinnegar thing with rice milk, and it worked fine, so that is not a problem

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
For some reason many recipes for things like quick breads or cookies have too much oil. I do know that if a recipe calls for butter or margarine and you sub oil it only needs from 2/3 to 1/2 the amount for oil. Maybe when people change recipes to vegan they forget this?
The recipe for using vinegar and rice milk, was that to add with the dry ingrediants using baking soda? I'm curious because in Vegan cookies she specifies that only the soymilk will curdle with vinegar, which is different than using it with baking soda to rise.
If you're using vinegar with liquids to react with baking soda any milk will do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I think it had baking soda in it...

what is the difference between baking soda and baking powder?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, and is used to raise acidic foods, and baking powder contains both sodium bicarb and cream of tarter. They are not replacable for each other though.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodch...f/blbaking.htm

the vinegar and milk can work for most besides rice milk, but works better with soy. Doesn't mean it won't work at all though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts