VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just opened up a container of Silk yogurt that has the new label on it. I noticed something strange; it is now labelled as "soy yogurt" whereas before it was labelled "cultured soy". I had always assumed that it was never labelled as yogurt due to the regulations around food identities and the protections of certain terms. I'm sure the dairy industry is not impressed about this

I was just wondering if anyone knows why Silk made this change; did they somehow get the standard identity of 'yogurt' to include the soy alternative? Or are they taking a risk with this? Maybe they are waiting to see how the dairy industry reacts?

Comments?

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDime View Post

For the most definitive answer, you might try emailing their customer service dept.
Good idea.. why didn't I think of it myself?

I sent them an email. I will post any reply I receive.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maybe they were concerned that people wouldn't know that "cultured soy" was actually soy yogurt? Most people know that yogurt contains active cultures, but I don't think too many people connect the term "cultured milk" with "yogurt."

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymps View Post

Maybe they were concerned that people wouldn't know that "cultured soy" was actually soy yogurt? Most people know that yogurt contains active cultures, but I don't think too many people connect the term "cultured milk" with "yogurt."
Logically, that seems like the best explanation at first glance. But why didn't they do that from the start? Because certain foods, like yogurt have rules and regulations surrounding the use of the term. So technically, (unless something has changed), soy 'yogurt' isn't really yogurt. It's cultured soy. I'm just curious why they changed the label: did the regulations change to include soy products? Or is Silk going out on a limb and testing the waters?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
the ones I buy here (alpro, in the UK) always say "dairy free alternative to yoghurt" so yeah, I assumed they couldn't exactly call themselves "yoghurt" either.

I'm curious now

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I buy ALPRO here as well (don't think you can get any other kind in the UK) but when we lived in the US there was a dog food called ALPO and I always feel a bit giggl-y when I read the name as I put it in my cart.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm from Canada, so I always got a giggle over the Alpo/Alpro thing too

I haven't heard back from Silk's customer service department yet. I can't wait to hear what they say.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still haven't heard anything from Silk about this. I wonder if their customer service department is just backed up or if they are stalling?

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the response I just got from them:

Quote:
Thank you for your recent e-mail to Silk®. We appreciate your interest in our products.

The formulation of our Silk Soy Yogurt has not changed. All our products continue to be dairy free.

Thanks again for contacting the Consumer Affairs Department.

Sincerely,

Consumer Response Representative
Typical stock response from someone who didn't actually read my email. Or they are deliberately beating around the bush to avoid answering the question. It's time to break out my detective hat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts