VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as these things are uncommon in my house, i'd prefer not to go out and have to buy them, especially since i'll never use either of them again, and don't feel like spending money on extra ingredients in several recipes. is it possible to substitute anything for soy yogurt in baked goods, or vinegar (maybe it could be swapped with lemon juice) in baked goods?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
What kind of recipes are you using the soy yogurt in? I generally use it as a substitute for something else (like egg).

·
Registered
441 Posts
what about tofu? 'mayo'?

i don't use soy yogurt (i'm allergic to all of them), and generally sub tofu, or 'butter'milk. it depends on the recipe... you can sub it with anything of a similar consistency, recipe pending.

lemon is fine for vinegar.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for your replies.

as for the yogurt, it's mostly in muffin and cupcake recipes, mostly in a new cookbook i got and i'm trying to make large batches of these for a bake sale, and buying soy yogurt is not an option, so i'm looking for something to replace it with. the less soy in the recipe, the better. if anyone knows of something to replace it with, please share.

·
Registered
441 Posts
oexoskel-

you can use 'buttermilk' for sure. for every cup, combine 1 tsp. of vinegar, and fill the remaining cup with whichever milk you consume.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
This link explains how to make the equivalent of soy yogurt for recipes:

Quote:
6 oz soymilk + 1.5 TB cornstarch + microwave for 30 seconds + stir + microwave for 15-20 seconds + squeeze of lemon juice or splash of vinegar + 3 minutes = 6 oz soy yogurt
By the way, from experience, I'd say the final 3 minutes is just supposed to be out on a counter to cool, not extra microwave time.

If you don't have a microwave you could do this in a pot on the stove. You could use any other type of "milk", like rice or almond, if you're looking to avoid soy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.