Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soy Milk

Category: Beverages/Smoothies

Suitable for a: vegan diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

After dozens of experiments, I have finally succeeded in making soy milk that tastes almost as good as Silk Soymilk at a fraction of the cost. This process assumes the use of a 6-cup soy milk maker.

7 ounces of Laura® Soybeans

3 quarts water

1 quart commercial soy milk, well chilled

4 ounces glucose

½ teaspoon sea salt

½ teaspoon food grade carrageenan

1 tablespoon sodium bicarbonate

Instructions:

Bring water to full rolling boil in 6-quart stock pot with a small amount of cooking oil and salt, and add soybeans. Blanch for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add bicarb. Cover and soak for 1 hour. Drain, rinse thoroughly with cold water, and dehull. Separate beans by weight into two separate piles. Process each pile in soy milk maker, decanting into a 1-gallon container. Add glucose, salt and carrageenan and stir. Add commercial soy milk for a total of 16 cups (1 gallon) soy milk, and mix completely.

Additional comments:

·
Registered
100 Posts
can you tell me how long soy milk lasts for if you make it fresh?

i can't decided whether to buy a soy milk maker or not. seems cost effective but not if the milk doesn't last - which i assume it doesn't as its unpasturised

thanks

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A long timefar longer than the commercial soy milk makers suggest. Id say at least two weeks, maybe even three.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually, making soymilk traditionally, which is just basically soy and water (and maybe some sugar)

It would last about a week I'd say. Two weeks... maybe.

Those silk brands can last up to a year, which I think is kind of weird. And I think it's even weirder when it's on a shelf room temperature instead of cold. Basically, soy milk should be treated the same as regular milk, if made fresh.

But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The cartons function the same way that metal cans and canning jars do.

Obviously, a cup or two of cooked beans won't last long sitting on the shelf...but after being canned, can last a year or more. Mammal's milk is sold in cans and room-temp cartons as well.

The cartons in the refridgerated section don't go through the same process, so they are far more perishable.

I imagine...that if you really wanted to store your own soymilk long term, you could learn to 'can' foods using canning jars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by felishi View Post

Actually, making soymilk traditionally, which is just basically soy and water (and maybe some sugar)

It would last about a week I'd say. Two weeks... maybe.

Those silk brands can last up to a year, which I think is kind of weird. And I think it's even weirder when it's on a shelf room temperature instead of cold. Basically, soy milk should be treated the same as regular milk, if made fresh.

But that's just my opinion.
thats how my parents make it

with soybeans and water that is.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Ingredients

250 g soybeans, soaked

2 liters water

130 g sugar (rocky sugar is preferable)

Directions

Soak the soya beans in water overnight.

Make sure that the water can always totally cover the beans.

Whirl the beans with water in a blender little by little until a smooth mixture is obtained.

Filter the mixture with muslin-made bag (or other fine cloth).

Pour the mixture into a pot.

Cook the mixture and add the sugar.

Remove the foam floating on the surface whenever necessary.

Take the pot away from heat when it has just boiled.

You can enjoy the soya milk whether immediately or freeze it.

__________________________________________________ _________

Carhartt Sherpa Lines Jackets property in dubai

·
Registered
0 Posts
Cool Beans...so to speak...LOL...I have friends who do this and its great...Mine was a mess but I am gonna pass along the recipe and we are gonna try it together.tHanx for sharing it

Peace Love and Happiness

Jenn

·
Banned
0 Posts
Soy milk (and all soy foods) contain a harmful hormone called genistein which promotes cancer, obesity and other illnesses. Other beans only contain trace amounts of genistein, but soy beans (and only soy beans) are very high in genistein. The latest research is clearly showing that genistein does nothing but harm when consumed in soy foods.

Peter444

www.make-milk.com

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to cool it down quickly. I assume that it would taste almost the same if you reserved a quart from a previous batch and used that instead. I suppose you could also use an ice bath and skip it altogether.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts