VeggieBoards banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I never had anything like this happen to me, but my BIL was having trouble sleeping, and thought is was sleep apnea. One day, on the way to work, my BIL and sister stopped to get a Starbucks, and he asked for soymilk in his. 5 hours in the hospital emergency room, it was diagnosed he had a soy allergy. I am that Royal P.I.T.A. in the grocery store that reads the ingredients labels on everything just to make sure there's no soy, soya, soy lecithin, or even processed in a plant that uses soy in it. Trust me, I reaaaaalllly love Enjoy Life chocolate chips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had palpitations too but it turned out to be low taurine which turns out some people can't produce. Taurine comes from mostly meat/seafoods so when I went vegetarian my heart started palpitating, I had no appetite because taurine is necessary to make bile to digest your food, I got irritable and stressed when I played Xbox 360 because it keeps your nervous system calm, etc, etc. No fun at all not sleeping because all you feel is your heart freaking out. Hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Never heard of such a thing. Perhaps you should get your thyroid checked?

I like unsweetened Almond milk in cereal. I don't feel the need to drink it by the glass...soy, almond or any other kind of milk...don't like the taste that much.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I had palpitations too but it turned out to be low taurine which turns out some people can't produce. Taurine comes from mostly meat/seafoods so when I went vegetarian my heart started palpitating, I had no appetite because taurine is necessary to make bile to digest your food, I got irritable and stressed when I played Xbox 360 because it keeps your nervous system calm, etc, etc. No fun at all not sleeping because all you feel is your heart freaking out. Hope this helps someone else.
Taken from http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/amino

"Technically, taurine is not an amino acid, but rather an amino sulfonic acid. But it is often referred to as an amino acid, even in scientific literature.

Taurine is not an essential nutrient; in other words, the human body makes its own taurine. Cats, on the other hand, are not able to make taurine and it must be supplied by the diet in order to keep their retinas healthy.

Taurine is made by the body from cysteine, which is a protein amino acid. If you eat the recommended amounts of protein, you should be getting enough cysteine to provide enough taurine.

Taurine is not found in plant foods. Non-vegetarians typically eat 40 - 70 mg of taurine per day (1). Vegans have been shown to have lower blood levels of taurine (3). It is not known whether this compromises health in any way, but very few vegans supplement with taurine, including healthy teenagers who have been vegan from birth."

·
Registered
25 Posts
well i dont know much about heart palpitations but my uncle is a nurse in a cardiac surgery place and i asked him about heart palpitations he says most heart palpitations are harmless but theres 1 particular deadly 1 that younger people are susceptible to i think thats what he said... anyway I wouldnt worry about it too much just because it seems more likely that you're fine than that you're not... but ya i would get them measured on the machine so they can know for sure what kind of palpitation it is. mine was confirmed harmless

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heart Palpitations from Soy

I also have heart palpitations from Soy or soy lethicin. If I continue to eat it I then get body tremors. I have found out that some Guar Gums contain up to 10% soy and I have been getting bad palpitations after eating some paleo bread containing Guar Gum so I suspect it is the soy I will find out from the supplier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes! I went vegan and my old PVC's came back. I knew soy has hormone-like qualities like estrogen, so it was highly suspect. Hormones affect heart rhythm so I tested this hypothesis. I eliminated soy in the diet and the PVC's went away. However, some things have soy lecithin which I never had a problem with. I have yet to isolate whether it is certain ways soy is processed or the natural soy bean itself that triggers the PVC's. The PVC's are so annoying when they stick around that I haven't put forth the effort to investigate the different ways soy is processed. I resist prepackaged stuff anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes! I went vegan and my old PVC's came back. I knew soy has hormone-like qualities like estrogen, so it was highly suspect. Hormones affect heart rhythm so I tested this hypothesis. I eliminated soy in the diet and the PVC's went away. However, some things have soy lecithin which I never had a problem with. I have yet to isolate whether it is certain ways soy is processed or the natural soy bean itself that triggers the PVC's. The PVC's are so annoying when they stick around that I haven't put forth the effort to investigate the different ways soy is processed. I resist prepackaged stuff anyway.
That is true, my cousin had the same reaction when she took soy milk wherein I'm fine when I drank some in. Guess it's her allergy.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
https://www.mercy.net/service/atria...to-avoid-eating-and-drinking-with-arrhythmia/

Phytoestrogens do not affect humans as hormones
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/soy/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awhile ago I started having heart palpitations. I went to my doctor, but they seemed to come and go (week on, week off). I believe they were PVCs, but nothing came up on the day I went to my doctor and the ECG came back normal. He told me they were probably harmless, but suggested a Holter Monitor if they were bothering me that much. I declined and went home. I thought about when they started and noticed it was a bit after I went vegetarian that they began to occur. Preliminary thinking was that it might be a B12 issue, but B12 deficiency takes a long time to develop and, as far as I knew, I was getting enough B12 in my diet, so I started to look for other answers. When I went vegetarian I started drinking soy milk in the morning and wanted to test that hypothesis so I have since cut soy from my diet. My heart palpitations have since stopped. I'm not sure it is a causal link yet, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar.
I have had the same experience, twice now, a few years apart. Shame because you can use tofu in so many ways and dishes.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts