VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I freeze tofu and then thaw it, it seems to taste a little sour. Today when I thawed it, I smelled it - surprise surprise, it smells sour again. This is the 3rd time this has happened. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can be pretty strong...stronger than I had noticed before. Maybe I just hadn't noticed. I dunno.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Tofu can have a faint sour smell - and I buy it fresh from the Asian markets minutes after it's delivered from the favctory. I think when you freeze it and thaw it, all the water it was sitting in is gone (or much of it) and the natural tofu smell is more concentrated. If that makes sense?<br><br><br><br>
How fresh is the tofu you're freezing? How long has the package been opened I mean? (I'm not assuming everyone buys it from an Asian Market or tofu factory)<br><br><br><br>
How are you freezing it? In water or not? How are you thawing it? Is it stored wrapped in plastic? If it's just a hunk of tofu sittin' in your freezer it's possible it's absorbing other smells too.<br><br><br><br>
It's probably just fine. if it went into the freezer in an unspoiled condition and was kept frozen, chances are slim-to-none that anything's wrong with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts