VeggieBoards banner

Sour Milk!! AAAAAAA!!!!

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Lothar M Kirsch 
#1 ·
so ive been doing ok, everythings alright. but had to ask another dumb question...

regardless of the fact it won't change the result, i just like to know

just drank an entire latte and thought the grind was foul, but at the bottom, took off the lid and the milk had obviously expired. im only just back on dairy, so i didn't recognise it as bad milk originally i just thought 'wow..milk in coffee instead of soy is revolting' ...

how much 'bad' milk do you have to drink to be vomiting etc? or will it not hurt me because it was heated for the latte? etc etc etc...

what a waste of $2...

See less See more
#3 ·
It could very well be that the milk was fine and they scalded it when they steamed it. It makes it go bad in a hurry~ Was it a pretty HOT drink? (would be over 160* if it was steamed too long, to scalding point)

But in answer to your question, it won't REALLY make you sick, but you might feel a bit ikky if you aren't used to it. People use buttermilk (basically old, thickened milk) all the time, and some people even drink it.

If you feel sick, eat something starchy, like a couple slices of toast, to soak it up.

#4 ·
kpickell- i think i will. not rudely though. because its one of the only places i buy coffee. i LOVE it there. its organic, biodynamic and ALWAYS amazingly made. fantastic coffee. which is why i was suprised and confused. lol.

bekajoi- starchy, eh? okidokey. and yeah, i thought maybe the milk was burnt or something ( i make coffee as a part time job so know alll about that. *roll of the eyes * sigh) but im pretty sure the chunks etc mean off milk..from my knowledge. ugh.

thanks for such speedy awesome responses. i try not to freak out over stuff these days but this has me going. i just hate ANYTHING that hurts my stomach, and makes me want to skip meals etc . years of ED have left me with hate of both throwing up and hunger. lol. everythings great now and i refuse to ever feel either of those again. lol. (ok not ENTIRELY possible but i can try not to, at any rate).

oneof my housemates said that 'nobody gets sick from sour milk unless they drink a litre of it' and the other one told me that 'one sip is enough to have you in the bathroom the whole day'. damn divided opinions! eheh

#5 ·
I think it just depends. I only got sick once from bad milk, when I was maybe 14. I only had a mouthful before I realized it was bad, and I was hurling all night long.

#7 ·
Yeah, think bad cold~ BRAT diet for the evening if you feel a bit ikky~ banana, rice, apple(sauce), toast~

Just keep in mind who made it, if you saw them, and ask for your drink to be a little cooler than normal next time. I like mine right around 120-130*. They SHOULD be using a thermometer when steaming and if they aren't, you should talk to the manager.

#10 ·
Yeah..you'd definitely be chucking by now. I think it was coupled with the fact that I'd eaten some chocolate maybe 1/2 hour earlier. It was kinda funny, looking back, as I was babysitting and the kids ended up watching over me. While babysitting for this same family about a year later, I burned my hand on the oven and blood went pouring all over the kitchen sink. Another day, the mom was cooking the "in the foil" garlic bread, when it caught on fire, and she ran it out to the yard and stomped on it. Still another time, we had a couple of bats get into the house.

This family definitely kept me on my toes.

#11 ·
My mother used to do this thing where she would sniff the milk and say "This will be bad by the afternoon. I can smell it starting to turn. We better drink it up now" BLAH! I never used to want to drink glasses of milk after because they all tasted sour to me.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurushead View Post

oneof my housemates said that 'nobody gets sick from sour milk unless they drink a litre of it' and the other one told me that 'one sip is enough to have you in the bathroom the whole day'. damn divided opinions! eheh
I haven't figured it out yet -: did you drink sour milk, which is rarely the fact how milk nowadays turns out to be when you let it go, or rather you had ultra long milk that got rotten?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.