VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. I just got home and found that for dinner tonight we're having soup with chicken, potatoes, tomatoes, and some other veggies. Would it be okay if I just ate everything except the chicken? Or do you think I shouldn't because it has been cooking with the chicken in the same pot? I would normally automatically say no to this, but I'm sooo hungry and this used to be my favorite meal so I'm considering just eating it. What would you do?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The stock is probably made from chicken. IMO, don't eat it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already checked and the broth they used doesn't have any chicken in it at all. Still shouldn't?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
This is one of those hot topics where you'll get three different answers from three different vegetarians.

Most of us are FED UP with friends and family just telling us to "pick out the pork" and eat around it. Ew... Sorry, just I just can't. Many veg*ns will equate this to picking poop out of their food.

*** If you pick out the chicken and eat it anyways, are you still a vegetarian... Is that your question? There's not really an answer. Despite what anyone else says, it is YOUR choice.

If it were me, I'd ask that we have a separate pot on the stove, with small amounts of everything except the chicken. Slice a potato and throw that in...to thicken it. Maybe, add a little rice.

Once you've been a vegetarian a bit longer the "ick factor" will set in, and you'll feel the same way. In the meantime, its your choice. Just remember that all those who witness the act of chicken soup eating will continuously expect you to just "pick the meat out" of everything...or just eat a little bit of the meatloaf.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandyy View Post

I already checked and the broth they used doesn't have any chicken in it at all. Still shouldn't?
Still, the chicken has been cooking/breaking down in the water, so you are effectively eating the chicken, even without the visible pieces being there.

+1
Quote:
Most of us are FED UP with friends and family just telling us to "pick out the pork" and eat around it. Ew... Sorry, just I just can't. Many veg*ns will equate this to picking poop out of their food.

*** If you pick out the chicken and eat it anyways, are you still a vegetarian... Is that your question? There's not really an answer. Despite what anyone else says, it is YOUR choice.

If it were me, I'd ask that we have a separate pot on the stove, with small amounts of everything except the chicken. Slice a potato and throw that in...to thicken it. Maybe, add a little rice.

Once you've been a vegetarian a bit longer the "ick factor" will set in, and you'll feel the same way. In the meantime, its your choice. Just remember that all those who witness the act of chicken soup eating will continuously expect you to just "pick the meat out" of everything...or just eat a little bit of the meatloaf.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you SO much for this answer. This was exactly what I was worried about and plus the 'ick factor' has already set in. The chicken in it disgusts me but I really like potatoes especially in soups. I feel like I'd be cheating myself if I ate any of it, though. I'll just go find something else to eat. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Just have something else this time, but next time the soup is being made do what Hazelnut said and have a separate pot for your veg friendly version. Or if you still have the time make a veg version of the soup now! Eating the soup will just set up bad expectations for the future and make things harder for you. If you politely turn down the chicken soup it will show your family you are serious about being vegetarian. Sounds like you are a new vegetarian so showing you are serious about it is always good a good step to avoiding being expected to eat around the meat all the time.

ETA: Well, two replies whilst I typed that so you've resolved it anyway. Enjoy your dinner. =]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Larissa Thanks :)
It was pretty awkward because it's a "family gathering" and they kept pushing me on and on to eat it, one of them even served me a bowl, but I just kept saying no nicely. I just fixed myself something else and am actually eating in my room because my entire house reeks of chicken.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:

@Larissa Thanks :)
It was pretty awkward because it's a "family gathering" and they kept pushing me on and on to eat it, one of them even served me a bowl, but I just kept saying no nicely. I just fixed myself something else and am actually eating in my room because my entire house reeks of chicken.
Good for you for standing your ground! Hopefully you set a good precedent, and next time you will be pressured less.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I made some delicious corn chowder the other day. I have a bowl of it right now for lunch and I have put some quinoa in it. Perhaps soup will be one of your favourite veg meals. I am making another soup in 2 days (for my so far failing diet) but I dont know what sort of soup I will make.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really hope I get pressured less next time
. They were starting to make me feel bad for not 'accepting their food' haha.
And @Freesia I loooove soups so I really hope I find some tasty vegetarian ones. The one you described sounds pretty tasty

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Dried marjoram, a bay leaf, salt and a sliced potato are all you need as a starter. Just toss in whatever else you have on hand.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
No need to feel bad, even though they might mean well by offering the food, I consider it rude to knowingly offer a veg*n non-veg*n foods. You'll learn to politely say no without guilt eventually.

For soups, you can search online (examples: vegetarian split pea soup, lentil soup, vegetable minestrone) or check out vegweb.com for whatever you'd like. I'll often tweak recipes based on what ingredients I have or if I need to veg*nize a non-veg*n ingredient, I'll do so. Vegetable bullion instead of chicken bullion, for example.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

This is one of those hot topics where you'll get three different answers from three different vegetarians.

next time you cook for them, put some elmers glue on the food, just a few drops here and there, then tell them you're sorry that you sneezed on the food when putting it out, but just pick out the snot and eat around it.
They then might understand your feelings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Hazelnut I just wrote that down, thanks
@Ryhs I really hope so. They all know that I'm a vegetarian yet they continued to offer me chicken

@Fatman That is a good idea ahah, instead of going through all that trouble though, i'll just explain it to them

·
Registered
79 Posts
Personally I'd make a stand. Not to be accusatory, but when there are people willing to 'pick off the meat' from a meal it makes people think that it's okay to offer veg*ans meat things. The attitude of 'well my friend so-and-so doesn't mind doing that, who do you think you are when you ask for your veggie burgers to be cooked separately from my meat ones!" I'd only do that (pick meat out of something) if I was really really desperate.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattie View Post

Personally I'd make a stand. Not to be accusatory, but when there are people willing to 'pick off the meat' from a meal it makes people think that it's okay to offer veg*ans meat things. The attitude of 'well my friend so-and-so doesn't mind doing that, who do you think you are when you ask for your veggie burgers to be cooked separately from my meat ones!" I'd only do that (pick meat out of something) if I was really really desperate.
We differ a little, although it almost got me in trouble yesterday morning, (I shall explain in a bit)
I wont pick the chicken out of chicken soup etc... but if Im camping with all my friends and I have my grill fired up for my Bocca burgers or my shrooms or whatever, I dont have a problem with them cooking their meat (not touching my food) on the same grill off to the side.

now to the trouble.
Yesterday I was hungry so I stopped at McDonalds and got an egg McMuffin, and I requested it with out the sliced ham on it. Just the egg on the muffin.
I get in the car and start down the road, guess what I see when I look at the McMuffin? thats right, that round hunk of ham.
So being hungry, and now irritated, without thinking I take the ham off and I sling it out the drivers window like a frisbee.... guess who was in my blind spot? A county cop.
The slab of ham actually stuck to the side door of his car, right under the P in POLICE.

Yes he pulled me over, after an explanation and a check on my drivers record, he laughed along with me (because just the implication of slinging ham at a cop had me unable not to laugh while he was ranting) and he let me go with just a warning for littering.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

We differ a little, although it almost got me in trouble yesterday morning, (I shall explain in a bit)
I wont pick the chicken out of chicken soup etc... but if Im camping with all my friends and I have my grill fired up for my Bocca burgers or my shrooms or whatever, I dont have a problem with them cooking their meat (not touching my food) on the same grill off to the side.

now to the trouble.
Yesterday I was hungry so I stopped at McDonalds and got an egg McMuffin, and I requested it with out the sliced ham on it. Just the egg on the muffin.
I get in the car and start down the road, guess what I see when I look at the McMuffin? thats right, that round hunk of ham.
So being hungry, and now irritated, without thinking I take the ham off and I sling it out the drivers window like a frisbee.... guess who was in my blind spot? A county cop.
The slab of ham actually stuck to the side door of his car, right under the P in POLICE.

Yes he pulled me over, after an explanation and a check on my drivers record, he laughed along with me (because just the implication of slinging ham at a cop had me unable not to laugh while he was ranting) and he let me go with just a warning for littering.
Haha that story's hilarious

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

now to the trouble.

Thats a Hoot and a Half

and I wont pick meat outta food and then eat it or round it.....thats just me though some people do.....so its all up to you....

Peace

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote:

I really hope I get pressured less next time
. They were starting to make me feel bad for not 'accepting their food' haha.
And @Freesia I loooove soups so I really hope I find some tasty vegetarian ones. The one you described sounds pretty tasty
Thanks! And yes, there are tons of different soups to be made... I made minestrone just now, and in a few days I will be making a garlic, spinach, chickpea and tahini soup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts