VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working out pretty consistently for about 3 years (I've lost 50 pounds, yay me!) and my knees ache constantly (my knees hurt from running, jumping, lunges, squats, etc.) I've tried going to a doctor about it when it gets really bad but they just give me painkillers and tell me to stop working out until it stops hurting. But then when I start working out again, the pain comes back.

Obviouly not working out is not an option and going back to the doctor repeatedly isn't helping. I have several friends taking glucosamine for knee pain and they say it works great and highly recommend it. However, glucosamine is made from crab shells so it's not vegetarian. Is there a vegetarian alternative that works just as well? Any ideas to help with my knee pain that don't involve suppliments?

BTW, riding a bicycle for my cardio is not an option for me. I'm a lousy bike rider and I think non-impact cardio machines are about as much fun as watching paint dry. I really enjoy my current workouts (running and intermediate to advanced aerobic weight training videos), I just think my workouts will be better and more effective without the knee pain.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

just give me painkillers and tell me to stop working out until it stops hurting. But then when I start working out again, the pain comes back.
that's the issue, right there. you cannot keep doing it - it's really that simple. you could risk major injury , and you'll have to do cardio that doesn't involve so much knee pain.

can you see a sports doctor? unless they are specialized, they probably don't have much a clue.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I know you said you're not a machine fan, but maybe a low-rise eliptical machine wouldn't be too bad. I have a bum knee and this was a great one for me (when it was available
). Take some good music, and enjoy that as a distraction, perhaps?

You could also try swimming..no impact, but can be good for the cv system, if you work at it. Can you bike outdoors, since you're out there in sunny CA?

re glucosamine: There are vegan versions available. If you Google, you'll find some online. You can also get a veg one at GNC. However, there seems to be some doubt about whether it's as effective as the animal version (which itself has some conflicting studies). I tried it for awhile and didn't notice much difference, but I might have needed to take it for a longer period of time. Anyway, it's safe to try it if you wanted to experiement.

Most of the pro-Glucosamine studies I've read suggest that it's better when taken with Chondroitin, which unfortunately, doesn't have a vegetarian version as of yet. If you search VB, I think you'll find a couple of older threads. I remember Lothar posting a couple of links with more info about this subject.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How much running are you doing and what kind/how old are your shoes? Running with the wrong shoes or "dead" shoes can really do a number on your knees. What kind of surface are you running on? Concrete is not too kind on the knees either.

As mentioned by other posters, swimming is great, low impact cardio. I always look to the pool for cardio when I need to give my legs a break. But, I guess it is a case of individual preferences.

Take care

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not running major long distances. I run 2-3 times a week between 4 and 5 miles. My shoes are only about 2 months old (they're the new Nike+ shoes.) I have a treadmill so I use that when it's too dark to run outside or it's raining. When I run outside, it's on the sidewalk (I know it's not the best surface but it's better than getting hit by a car.)

I have a bike but I have lousy balance and I can't go fast enough to get a decent cardio workout without falling and I'm scared to ride on hills (my children can ride circles around me, it's kind of pathetic.)

I'm also a lousy swimmer (I dogpaddle, feel free to mock me.) I don't get anything out of it. Plus, I do a lot of my working out at night and the pool closes at 8.

I do like step aerobics which is easier on my knees. So maybe when I need to give my knees a break, I'll switch to that temporarily (I really enjoy running, in spite of the knee pain so I really don't want to stop.)

I'm not sure if I can get my doctor to refer me to a sports doctor but I'll give it a shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts