VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there songs that make you cry? Or at least feel weepy, even though you may not shed any tears? Here are some of mine:

Wooden Ships by Crosby, Stills & Nash

Daydream by Robin Trower

Mother by Chicago

What's Going On? and Marcy Mercy Me by Marvin Gaye

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
OMG Carnelian--Wooden Ships totally makes me cry, too! Have you ever seen the movie 1969? That song is in it at kind of a sad part and I think that just adds to why I cry.

Take the Long Way Home and The Logical Song by Supertramp

Ok--this one is going to get me laughed at quite a bit, I'm sure, but...Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion. I can't stand Celine Dion, but the video that was produced for the Nebraska Humane Society's big fundraiser a few years back featured that song at the end with scenes of shelter animals and one of the scenes is of the skinniest dirtiest grossest puppy I've ever seen and then it cuts to a year later and the puppy is in his new home licking his guardian's face. I saw that video about 800 times and now whenever I hear the song, I cry buckets.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
muppetcow - the songs I chose make me cry for different reasons, but Wooden Ships makes me cry for it's subject matter - war - and the story within the song. It gets me every time. I haven't seen 1969, but when I'm in the mood for a good cry - I'll rent it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I agree, Carnelian. The subject matter is very depressing, plus the sound of the song itself is chilling (even if you don't listen to the words). Very beautiful and haunting.

1969 isn't the greatest movie in the world, so if you rent it and hate it, don't blame me (it has Kiefer Sutherland in it, though, so that's a plus! )

·
Registered
794 Posts
Wooden Ships makes me cry too! It was also in Woodstock - at the beginning, where they're all preparing for the festival.

Also, I'll go for 'I Promise' by Radiohead (which is unreleased... probably because it's so sad), 'Svefn-g-englar' by Sigur Ros and 'Immigrant' by Nitin Sawhney.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Creep-Radiohead

Fake Plastic Trees-Radiohead

River-Travis (favorite version), or Robert Downey Jr (which I also really enjoy) Or Joni Mitchell

Sleep-The Dandy Warhols

Still Fighting It-Ben Folds

That I would Be Good-Alanis Morissette

Let Me Touch You For A While-Alison Krauss

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face-Celine Dion (live version is much better)

The Drugs Don't Work-Ben Harper (live)

In My Place-Coldplay

My Immortal-Evanescence (very haunting)

Say Goodnight, Not Goodbye-Beth Nielson Chapman

Because-Beatles

Something-Beatles

In my Life-Beatles

With Or Without You-U2

How Can You Mend A Broken Heart-Bee Gee's

Crawl-This Way

Last Dance-Sarah Mclachlan

Painters-Jewel

Adrian-Jewel

Swallowed-Bush

Broken Vow-Lara Fabian

To Where You Are-Josh Groban

Let Me Fall-Josh Groban

If anyone wants to hear anymore just ask I have 100's hehe

·
Registered
811 Posts
I know that it is a very sappy song, but the song, "Butterfly Kisses", by Jeff Carson ALWAYS gets me. I'm pathetic.

"She gives me butterfly kisses, with her mother there,

little white flowers all up in her hair....'walk beside the pony Daddy, it's my first ride', 'I know the cake looks funny, but I sure tried'. After all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right....to get her love in the morning and butterfly kisses at night"

*sob*

Also, "When October Goes" by Barry Manilow. Words are by Johnnie Mercer and are amazing. Anyone who has ever missed an old true love can feel these.

"And when October goes,

the same old dream appears,

and you are in my arms,

to share the loney years...I turn my head away to hide the hopeless tears...

oh, how I hate to see October go....?

"Is It A Crime" by Sade is also wonderful.

"my love is wider than Victoria lake, taller than the Empire State....I can't give you more than that....surely you want me back? Is it a crime? Is it a crime.....that I still love you? And I want you to love me too..."

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yikes--all the Beatles songs...I'm a huge Beatles fan and none of those have ever made me cry. Yesterday probably b/c whenever I hear it, I think of the working lyrics which were "Scrambled eggs, oh baby how I love your legs" or something to that effect.

Spa-girl--good call on the Elliot Smith! If I listen to an entire album of his in one sitting, OMG--you'd better hide the razors! He's definitely a sun-is-shining-summertime listen otherwise it would be too much.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Beatles : The Long & Winding Road (Oh, what once was, and will never be again, I always think)

Elton John: Indian Sunset

Robin Trower: Heck, lots of the first album, including Daydream and Hannah.

Robert Cray: I Wonder, also The Price I Pay

IIIrd Tyme Out: Erase All the Miles

Dolly Parton: I Am Ready

Gosh, there's hundreds that stir me to sorrow. I'm easy . . .

Mind you I don't really CRY, now; it's totally contrary to Southern WASP culture and all . . . .

Bank, old bluesman

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.