VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is only 19 months so there's no talking to him or reasoning this

Any ideas for disguising them? Other than a soup. I tried some lentils today with carrots but he was wise to me

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried literally all that I could find (everything from a-z). He does not mind peas (trying zucchini tonight) or red peppers. I generally cook them in all ways except without salt for him. I wonder if it's becoming too bland at this age?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I let my son have salted foods. He's only a little older than yours. I found that some foods he will eat without any salt but others he prefers a bit of salt. Peas and carrots he will eat unsalted. I make sure it's just a bit of table salt added right there at the table because that way you actually use less total salt. Plus table salt is ionized and we need iodine.

But there are some veggies he just doesn't like. The green leafy ones like kale and spinach. So those ones have to be blended and added to home-made veggie burgers, soups, or sauces. Or just avoid those. It's not a big deal so long as he eats some veggies.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I know nothing about kids but my sister works in a Nursary with babies from 9weeks to 2years. If they wont eat or drink something she makes it into a game 'this is princess/superhero food...only the best people can eat this' or 'im just going to leave this tasty food on my fork...I hope no one steals it' etcetc. I dont know, thought I suggest it anyway.
And in my opinion, salty veggies are better than no veggies

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
My son loves tomato sauce so I hide veggies in anything with tomatoes to overpower the other flavours. Blend greens into spaghetti sauce, or hide tiny bits in lasagnes and chills. The blender is your friend

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Yeah, and I've talked to parents who did that who had children fail to thrive because the child would rather go hungry than eat food that wasn't appetizing to them.
Not normal, though if they truly would rather starve then kid wins that round, lol.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
I wouldn't say it's not normal, I think it just depends on many personality and taste bud factors. If something truly tastes horrible to a child, it's cruel to make them eat it. Or they might have issues with the texture. I know someone with severe food issues, I wouldn't want to push my kid in that direction.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
It's not cruel, what's cruel is to expect the parent to cater to the little tykes every wish (only being slightly facetious here). Seriously I read somewhere that the difference between liking a food and hating it is like eating it a dozen times or more. I believe it too.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
One-year olds have lots of things to do and learn, and eating isn't that exciting for them. Have the food all ready before you sit him down, and let him get right to eating and then let him get up before he gets bored. Any food you can make into a face shape or put in a cool car-shaped dish can taste better.
Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, thanks for all the great advice
I am going to try a bit of margarine/salt. I started off with no-salt for the beginning of his weaning at 6 months and I guess need to 'upgrade' to more seasonings (he will eat curries etc, but I just never bothered to add salts). I can appreciate all perspectives, but I do come from a very "attachment parenting" perspective and letting him go hungry is not an option for me at this time (he will just nurse more anyways, I'm sure). Thank you everyone

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.